Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best payers 2018?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Best payers 2018? Reply with quote

Hi

Which countries are the best payers for teaching adults in 2018? Saudi? China? Other?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely KSA since most of the country's teaching opportunities entail adult learners.

BUT... Nothing's changed; the Saudi government still does not accept qualifications that included online coursework. You'd have to apply for positions using your unrelated BA rather than your MA in Applied Ling. This limits you to working via a for-profit contracting company, so the pay won't be as good. Plus, salaries/benefits continue to decline mainly due to the country's slump in oil prices. The umpteen job ads on the Cafe's job board should give you an idea what your BA might possibly net you.

Oman might be a possibility with your MA. However, it's not known for great salaries. Plus, it doesn't have a high need for EFL teachers compared to KSA.

Others can comment about teaching adults in China and elsewhere in Asia.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. I'm not totally convinced about them not accepting certain qualifications, as you can equally find reports from people who have got decent positions regardless of how they were gained. So I don't think it is as cut and dried as you say.

Also, I think China is getting better for teaching adults.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
Hmmmmm. I'm not totally convinced about them not accepting certain qualifications, as you can equally find reports from people who have got decent positions regardless of how they were gained. So I don't think it is as cut and dried as you say.

You can get a job anywhere in the world with whatever qualifications. The question is: is it legal? Is it even remotely desirable and worth it? Is it the kind of location that you want to risk bending the rules for? Bartending in Australia when you've overstayed your working holiday visa doesn't sound too risky. Certain ME countries? I don't know if I'd even try that bureaucratic nightmare (haven't been in 11 years, can't say what that's like now). What a job promises and what is legal/permitted by the government are two different things.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtef wrote:
I'm not totally convinced about them not accepting certain qualifications, as you can equally find reports from people who have got decent positions regardless of how they were gained. So I don't think it is as cut and dried as you say.

Those teachers either: 1) started working in KSA prior to 2013 when online quals weren't strictly scrutinized; or 2) are working via a business or work visit visa. (These visas are often used by some for-profit companies and aren't ideal because they're for visiting and not for bona fide employment.)

You can certainly apply to whatever Saudi job you're interested in if you feel submitting your MA to the UK Saudi Cultural Bureau (SACB) is worth the risk in time and money. FYI, the SACB is the administrative branch of the education ministry that reviews and attests academic quals as part of the work visa process. They clearly state the following on their website:

Quote:
Non-Saudi Applicants
Applications will be rejected in the following instances:
    Unclear copies of required documents
    Distance learning (applicant didn’t study in the UK)
    Online modules (applicant studied online modules)
Source: https://attestation.uksacb.org/

You might check out Best paying University jobs on the China forum.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to plod along with China salaries then gamble with the Saudis. Saudi Arabia is finished.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance of getting the best positions in Saudi Arabia/the Gulf with an online Master's. They are not accepted. Therefore you will get only lower paid work with the qualifications you have. And probably not worth it to put up with the atrocious, appalling behaviour.
Most people on the Gulf forums on daves are saying pay and conditions in the region have greatly deteriorated over the last 5 years or so.
You need to change the countries you are interested in. Probably best to forget the Gulf.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even more useful is best pay/benefits vs. cost of living in the place you will be living. 1500 USD in Colombia might be much better than 2000 euros in Western Europe after CoL is considered. Even though the later pays more cost of living is (still) so low in Colombia you could save more if you find a decent job. Plus you an find good places in safe areas to live in northern Bogota for 150 USD or less. Much of Europe, I would think, it is hard to find rents for less than 750 euros, could be wrong. Though since I left Colombia in 2017 CoL has climbed a lot in the following 11 months...
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious to know whether or not Oman has actually standardised their procedures with all the other GCC countries and stopped accepting Distance/Online MA TESOLs/Applied Lings as hiring qualifications for universities and other HE institutes.
Does anyone know of people recently hired with these distance/online qualifications at universities/institutes in Oman. Veiled Sentiments, perhaps?
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand, what is the "issue" with an online MA, BA or otherwise? If it involves at least some in class time for the actual exam, more and more people are starting to favor online courses. It covers the same material and is more convenient and cost effective for all involved. Or maybe I misunderstood the point of your post.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
Does anyone know of people recently hired with these distance/online qualifications at universities/institutes in Oman. Veiled Sentiments, perhaps?

Best to ask this question on the Oman forum.

CTravel32 wrote:
I do not understand, what is the "issue" with an online MA, BA or otherwise? If it involves at least some in class time for the actual exam, more and more people are starting to favor online courses. It covers the same material and is more convenient and cost effective for all involved.

It's interesting that you're only looking at this from a personal point of view. (Foreign employers and governments don't care about the amount of time and money job seekers have put into their education.) Anyway, the rejection of online/distance qualifying degrees, teaching licenses, and TEFL certs by most of the Gulf Arab states is more of a cultural perception about legitimacy. Like it or not, it's a stark example of the type of restrictions government labor regs can have on job seekers. It is what it is.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a well-paying job at a private university in Riyadh for three years. The newer employees, who came in after I left, are still well-paid but have business visas, which means no iqama, thus difficulty renting apartments.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:
The newer employees, who came in after I left, are still well-paid but have business visas, which means no iqama, thus difficulty renting apartments.

It sounds like they were working for a for-profit contracting company and not as university direct hires. It makes a difference in terms of pay, benefits, and work conditions.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: ahem Reply with quote

There rule about ELT is that there isn't one. I don't have a Masters but have been making $100,000 a year for quite some time and I only teach 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. I have a house and 3 flats and no credit and I'm under 50. Currently in the UAE but have done Sawdi, Kuwaaargait, Qatar and Libya in the Arab world. Anything's possible, it's mostly luck. Have a look for a Dyncorps teaching job. The oil industry gigs I've been in are all being outsourced these days to bottom feeders. Even Saudiaramco is soon to be outsourced. BAe is the gig in Saudi but it's horrendous hours and under 50k GBP a year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: