Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling like Michael Corleone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Feeling like Michael Corleone Reply with quote

OK, so being an ESL/EFL teacher is not the same as being in the mob. I will own that from the start. Last year, when I left a job in the KSA, I would have happily sworn on a stack of Holy Bibles that I was done with the field of language teaching. After 20+ years, I had nothing more to offer.

A year later and a failed attempt to leave the teaching world. A job that ended in disaster and the trapped feeling of being too static. Missing the the ex-pat life. Feeling unmoored and unwelcome in Trump's America.

So, I'm off searching again for another job and hoping that a year off has recharged my spirit and made me miss the classroom.

Anyone else feeling like this?

https://goo.gl/images/mrxiDu
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure not still dealing with reverse culture shock? Or maybe you haven't yet figured out what job in the US is a good fit for you.

Before you start popping off your CV for TEFL jobs, you might reflect on what why you felt you had "nothing more to offer" in terms of teaching. Plus, those aspects of TEFL that eventually became somewhat of a turn off for you are likely to surface for your next job abroad.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not reverse culture shock. I've been going back and forth between the States and abroad since the 1990s.

It's more that my attempts to transition out of teaching haven't been successful. I would love to work as an academic advisor or coordinator; it just hasn't surfaced.

I think if I were to go back to teaching, I would need to bring a new perspective and learn a new skill, perhaps attend more workshops and other professional development. What burned me out was working in what I perceived as a "Nanny State" (the KSA). Maybe a different country/working with teachers instead of students could help.

If I'm having a mid-life crisis I may as well do it in a foreign land. The US feels really unkind right now. Sad
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:

It's more that my attempts to transition out of teaching haven't been successful. I would love to work as an academic advisor or coordinator; it just hasn't surfaced.

Maybe employers are looking for a different academic background (if you have a masters in TESOL, maybe they want a doctorate. Or maybe they want to also see a M.Ed in Educational Leadership For Higher Education).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:

I think if I were to go back to teaching, I would need to bring a new perspective and learn a new skill, perhaps attend more workshops and other professional development.
Maybe a different country/working with teachers instead of students could help.

I agree with GambateBingBangBOOM. If you want to get into a role as either an academic advisor or academic coordinator in the US, consider obtaining proper qualifications rather than hoping workshops and a n EFL teaching job abroad would meet the requirements.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am nearly 49 and not going back to school again -- two MA degrees = large student loan debt. [I have another MA (unrelated to TESOL) but it has not done much to assist me career-wise.]

At the end of the day, work is not what moves me. It's really just my function in society. TEFL allows me much free time and space to move and explore, so I may as well just return to it. At least I can continue to travel and meet interesting people.

Thank you, though, Nomad Soul, for the links. They have some great info.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably find a job as a principals assistant/vice principal at some international school. It might not be a coordinator position, but perhaps after several years of hard work and a retirement (being in the right place at the right time) you could be promoted from within based on merit.

There are a number of Admin jobs at schools, kind of crazy just how many depending on the school.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasrachel wrote:
I am nearly 49 and not going back to school again -- two MA degrees = large student loan debt.

A couple of options that might get you closer to your dream jobs:
    AMIDEAST sometimes has non-teaching openings in either the MENA or in Washington, DC.
    • If you have a TESOL-related MA, look into the English Language Fellow (ELF) Program, which is administered by Georgetown University.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I applied to the ELF program. I'll check out Amideast, thanks!!
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: