Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

red flag?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: red flag? Reply with quote

I am new to considering working in Spain and quite perplexed. Based on the reports I read here I am not sure what to think. I am from the USA have a BA and TESOL and teaching experience in Asia. I got offered a job after a very brief Skype interview, no video just audio. Moreover, the requested FT feedback was quite incomplete. Perhaps a non-native.

The offer seems well above average based on the reports on this website. I am not complaining but a possible red flag given what seems to be a high salary and other perks. However, I must pay for the work permit and the dep on the apartment (I assume after I arrive).

They have recommended a visa service/attorney and they report I can get the work permit in three weeks. The fee is 190 Euro.

The school seems legit. They have a website, FB and student reviews on google. I am not clear on what may be needed to get the work permit other than filling out the form, passport page, and other info provided by the visa service. And their communication is also not all that good.

Any thoughts?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a passport from an EU member country in addition to your (presumably) US one, this is most likely a scam.

Scammers sometimes hijack the web info of real schools. I suggest you contact the school directly and inquire if this is a real offer and from them. I will bet that it isn't. It's extremely rare that a US citizen can get a work visa for Spain (or other western European countries). 190 EU won't do it, nor will your (basic for Europe) qualifications.

There are more red flags than you have probably noticed. This isn't hiring season, for one...and it's pretty rare that European schools hire anyone from abroad, since there are lots of qualified job candidates around to interview in person.

Essentially, if you want to consider teaching in Europe, you would likely have much more success thinking about regions where US citizens can legally get work permits. This is Central/Eastern Europe in most cases. If you decide to consider this, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Above all, don't send anyone any money in advance for anything.
tin man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: scammers Reply with quote

I think you are right. Thanks for making it clear!!! There are just too many red flags. The contract was well written but everything else seems a little fishy. Even the school's email address is on top of a hidden gmail. I believed them but at the same time saw some red flags. I will double check and contact the school directly via email. Interesting that they even got a visa service/lawyer in on it. I am thinking the FT was actually one in the same person because he signed his name Mr (first name) same as the fake school
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won’t be a genuine lawyer-you can’t buy an EU work permit.
Anyway, we will be interested to hear what you learn when you contact the school!
tin man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: scam Reply with quote

You were right. It is a scam. The school has already contacted the Spanish police as it is widespread. I have asked them if they want me to post their letter here to warn other teachers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is bad news for you, but great that you have caught them out.
Let me know via pm or post if you still want to look for positions in Europe and I will help if I can.
tin man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, that is very kind of you. I will post the warning if the school tells me to do so. I am looking at an opportunity in the USA. Let me complete the interview process with them and then I will PM you. Thanks for the help and tipping me off!
tin man

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the school that is having the problem:

Stuart Paul Sprake
Director
www.sprakeschòol.es
champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Fraud School Reply with quote

that's a scam!

Now they have moved to www.oyeenglish.es and targeting unsuspecting foreign teachers.

Regards,
Mr. Matías Iker
Calle Gisbert, 3, 30202 Cartagena,
Murcia, Spain
Teléfono: +34 92 618 0010
Fax: 656234764
Email:/Skype: [email protected]
hotornot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: American English Teachers can find legit Jobs in Germany Reply with quote

German companies are the only European companies that offer to sponsor Americans/Canadians to teach Business English.

There are only a couple and they pay very well. You must be experienced and qualified to teach English. And yes they do in fact help with the whole work visa.

Check TARGET in Germany. It's called TargetTraining, I cannot post the website here but add the word Germany after those words and you'll find it.

easy peezy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: