Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neither company nor recruitment agency is responding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passion88

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Neither company nor recruitment agency is responding. Reply with quote

I received an offer to work at a university in Riyadh. I accepted the offer and sent the company the required documents. I told them that I wanted to have the visa processed in Beijing because that is where I am working now. I am a US citizen and I am sure that U.S. citizens can process a work visa at the KSA Embassy in Beijing.

Yesterday, I was told that my visa was approved and that it was sent to the KSA Embassy in D.C. I was surprised because I told the company that I wanted it processed in Beijing. They also told me that I would have to send my passport to their agent in D.C. along with the visa application package or go there myself. I am afraid of the risk of both options so I asked them why couldn't they have sent the visa to Beijing but they have not responded. I then sent the same message to the recruitment agency and they haven't responded either. I am sure that the answer to this question is simple but now I am skeptical.

Of course I should be worried if they are not replying to a simple question but what are the reasons they wouldn't answer such a simple question and why would they not tell me upfront where they were processing my visa after I told them about the KSA Embassy in Beijing..IMO?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passion88 wrote:
I received an offer to work at a university in Riyadh. I accepted the offer and sent the company the required documents. I told them that I wanted to have the visa processed in Beijing because that is where I am working now. I am a US citizen and I am sure that U.S. citizens can process a work visa at the KSA Embassy in Beijing.
I am afraid of the risk of both options so I asked them why couldn't they have sent the visa to Beijing but they have not responded. I then sent the same message to the recruitment agency and they haven't responded either.

Give them time to respond; Friday is the start of the weekend in KSA.

Your post is somewhat confusing. Was this for an employment visa (i.e., entails a US criminal background check; qualifying degree authenticated by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission in Washington, DC; lab tests; and a physical exam)? If so, you generally don't have a choice as to where your work/employment visa will be processed and would have to return stateside. In contrast, a business/work visit visa usually can be processed in the country you're currently residing in -- in your case, China. This why it's key to ask about visa type and process during your interview, especially if you're outside your home country. (See explanations about the different Saudi visas in the sticky section in this forum.)
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how experienced are you in the Middle East? This sounds to me like a classic case of ignoring "why" questions. Your visa is in DC. You can either go there and get it and follow up on the job offered to you and start learning how things are done in Saudi, or you can stay in Beijing and let the opportunity pass.

Note that you assumed that just because you told them what you wanted, this would somehow overrule what they were prepared to do... with no consultation with them.

They aren't answering your "why" question because doing so has no bearing at all on the outcome for either of you. Even if they give and you understand the reason, you still have to go to DC. No use hoping for them to suddenly email and say, our apologies, we messed up, your visa in DC has been cancelled and a new one has been issued to Beijing.

That is not going to happen.

Not only is Friday the start of the weekend but Ramadan starts this week. You have pretty much hit the worst time of the Hijri year to get anything official done.

"Of course I should be worried if they are not replying to a simple question" - you aren't going to survive long here if that worries you because it's a regular occurrence of life in the Kingdom.

"Why would they not tell me upfront where they were processing my visa after I told them about the KSA Embassy in Beijing" - because they operate with different cultural rules to you which you don't yet understand.
Thomasmc89

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why some people are so needlessly hostile on this forum.

passion88, did they respond in the end?

p.s.
"Of course I should be worried if they are not replying to a simple question" - you aren't going to survive long here if that worries you because it's a regular occurrence of life in the Kingdom.

Don't worry, you'll survive perfectly fine here.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Neither company nor recruitment agency is responding. Reply with quote

passion88 wrote:

Yesterday, I was told that my visa was approved and that it was sent to the KSA Embassy in D.C. I was surprised because I told the company that I wanted it processed in Beijing. They also told me that I would have to send my passport to their agent in D.C. along with the visa application package or go there myself. I am afraid of the risk of both options so I asked them why couldn't they have sent the visa to Beijing but they have not responded. I then sent the same message to the recruitment agency and they haven't responded either. I am sure that the answer to this question is simple but now I am skeptical.

If it's an employment visa, you're visa documents, not the visa, were shipped to the Saudi embassy in Washington. You're visa gets approved while you reside in the USA by the Saudi embassy in Washington. You cannot get an employment visa outside of the USA. You also have to have medical tests along with a medical exam performed in the USA by a physician in the USA. You're prospective employer may be messing around with you, which wouldn't be unusual.
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"you're" three times instead of the correct "your." One of many errors that EFLers commonly commit.
hash

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me analyze your 1st paragraph for you. It might help your communication skills in the job search. Red text is direct quotation from your posting.

1- …and sent the company the required documents. Who is the “company”? If you mean the university that hired you, you should know that a uni is never referred to as a “company”. Rule #1 – get your terminology straight.

2- I told them that I wanted to have the visa processed in Beijing because that is where I am working now. Really? You “told” them? I thought you said you asked them a simple question. Doesn’t sound like a simple question to me. To me, it sounds like a strident demand. That’s probably one reason they haven’t responded (and won’t). You never really asked a question at all.

Also, they know where you’re “working now” and that there’s a KSA Embassy in Beijing…..you really didn’t have to add all that. It sounds, if you don’t mind my saying so, a little condescending. KSA has been hiring ESL teachers from China for decades now….your case isn’t particularly unusual.

3- I am sure that U.S. citizens can process a work visa at the KSA Embassy in Beijing. Really?? How can you possibly be “sure”? Did you call the KSA Embassy in Beijing and specifically ask that question? If you didn’t you’re just guessing.

The remainder of your posting continues along these same lines but one paragraph is enough to show you how you’re coming across.

Two vital pieces of information you’ve got to get clear from the get-go:

1- What type of VISA is going to be issued to you?
2- Who exactly is your employer which is to say your sponsor? Who actually PAYS you?

Good luck.

Last edited by hash on Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passion 88 made one post. She has not been back
passion88

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ignored most of the comments or "analyses" posted because many of you ignorantly assumed what must of happened instead of asking for additional information about what actually happened.

The company actually asked me where I wanted to have the visa processed and I gave them all of the information about the KSA Embassy in Beijing("Duh"). After that, I even sent them an email asking them how long will it take for me to get the visa in Beijing and they responded very quickly to that question saying that the entire process would take 2 months. At this, point after two emails about Beijing, the company never told me that they were processing the visa in DC. A week later, I received an email from the company telling me that my visa was approved and that it was sent to D.C.

The company has admitted that it was a mistake and that it was MOFA's fault.

"It is an error on the part of some employee in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, we shall request change of venue again and advise you soonest possible.,
Regards"

Please do not comment on any of my posts with illogical assumptions that are full of sarcasm. If you are not sure, ask as many questions as possible and then give your opinions.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Please do not comment on any of my posts with illogical assumptions that are full of sarcasm. If you are not sure, ask as many questions as possible and then give your opinions."

You must be new here.
Thomasmc89

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer 👍

Hope it works out okay for you.

(If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. There are actually quite a few nice teachers on this forum despite what the posters on this thread would like you to believe)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passion88 wrote:
I even sent them an email asking them how long will it take for me to get the visa in Beijing and they responded very quickly to that question saying that the entire process would take 2 months.

Is this for a business/work visit visa? If so, approximately when are you expected to arrive in KSA?
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Passion 88 made one post. She has not been back

She did come back, but she is unlikely to make it to 15200+ posts.

MOD edit
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I actually ignored most of the comments or "analyses" posted because many of you ignorantly assumed what must of happened instead of asking for additional information about what actually happened."

Thank you Passion.

I've also commented about some of the "replies" I've gotten that were not on topic and provided no value to the thread.

Not sure if people are incorrectly assuming they are being witty or what. But, they clearly are not helping anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: