Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer for SNET
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellaBelle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Offer for SNET Reply with quote

I have a big decision to make here. I am currently living in the UAE on a decent gig. Terrible students but a decent lifestyle. My total package is a little over 90,000 USD.

Now, I just got offered a job for a secondary school on the NET Scheme. I know it is common to work on Saturday and they did tell me they do work on some Saturdays. I know as the only NET in the school, you are pretty much the go-to person which could become consuming. It does seem like I could be flexible and creative with the curriculum and teach some amazing students. I am just concerned with the work-life balance. One person in the interview said it was difficult to leave by 4:30pm. Well, that's definitely not the case working for the Arabs.

The NET scheme does seem like a long-term career, unlike where I am at now.

I have a master's degree in TEFL, TEFL certificate, and over 5 years' experience.

What would my pay look like and how quickly can you move up the pay scale? Is there a retirement plan?

How is the work-life balance on the SNET? I'd like to have a family someday.

Thanks in advance!
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost of housing is an issue but there is an allowance.
One issue is having landlords raise the rent, so some people move out and live somewhere else.

Sounds like you got a tier one schooll. I have heard of teachers changing schools after they complete a contract.

Do you mind living in a crowded city?
Do you mind living in a high rise where you don't know your neighbors?
Do you mind teachers speaking Catonese all the time?

Need to retire at 60, but otherwise sounds pretty good.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of your questions is pretty easy to answer. The EDB NET salary is based on a standard government pay scale range which can be found here:

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html

The scheme does recognise experience so you wouldn't start at the bottom of the scale. At a very rough guess you would start at approx HKD 55K / month (including special allowance). That works out to approx USD 84K / year. On top of that there will be end of contract bonuses and other benefits. Your pay will rise regularly until you reach the top of the scale which is approx HKD 88K / month (inc allowance) which works out to approx USD 135K / year. So although you are taking a slight pay cut now, the potential upside is much higher down the road.

Your second question about working conditions is much more difficult to answer. Local schools vary considerably. Secondary schools are divided into 3 tiers, with Tier 1 being the best and Tier 3 the worst. Some Tier 3 schools are fairly poor, while on the other side some Tier 1 schools are comparable to good private international schools. Likewise working conditions vary a lot between different schools. I think in general you will be working harder than you do currently. On the upside, HK has a lot of public holidays which go some way to offset the longer working hours.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all five years of experience are recognized (likely, but not guaranteed, depends on loads of secret algorithms us mere mortals never see Laughing ) you would start on just over 59k HKD per month after the new 4.5% pay rise is factored in. Which I think is almost exactly what you earn just now in Saudi. Jmbf has covered the bonuses and rises you can expect. There is also talk of raising the retirement age to 65.

However, rent here is very high (best case scenario I'll say 16k for a very small two bed in decent part of Kowloon), and you do pay tax here (although nothing like our home country - factor about 10% of your yearly salary, and there are usually extra deductions).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the workload. It sounds like more than you have now, but I don't think it'd be unmanageable. Let's be honest - in terms of quality of life there is surely no comparison between Saudi and HK? If I were you, I'd go for it.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot also depends on what you mean by 'decent lifestyle'. For me, there's no point in finishing early if there is nothing interesting to do after work.

Hong Kong has lots of things to do, but you'll need to do your own research to see if any of it is of interest to you.

The below link is mostly for tourists but it will give you an idea of what's on offer.

https://www.timeout.com/hong-kong/things-to-do/best-things-to-do-in-hong-kong
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kowloon wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the workload. It sounds like more than you have now, but I don't think it'd be unmanageable. Let's be honest - in terms of quality of life there is surely no comparison between Saudi and HK? If I were you, I'd go for it.

The OP lives in the UAE.
yurii

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:

Your pay will rise regularly until you reach the top of the scale which is approx HKD 88K / month (inc allowance) which works out to approx USD 135K / year. So although you are taking a slight pay cut now, the potential upside is much higher down the road.

Yes, but JMBF isn't there the lack of teaching license something to take into consideration? I remember reading about the salary scale before and I'm sure it said pay was capped for all those without a teaching license after a certain level. So, as far as I see it long-term, say 10 years in the programme, your salary will be much much lower than someone else with a teaching license. Of course it's still one of the best salaries in EFL but it seemed to me the difference between someone in the programme 10 years with a teaching license vs someone without means a vast difference in salary. Or is this something that has changed??

mitsui wrote:
Do you mind living in a high rise where you don't know your neighbors?

I lived in a city of 100,000 people and didn't know my neighbours!

mitsui wrote:
Do you mind teachers speaking Cantonese all the time?

I live in France and my fellow teachers, with the exception of the native speakers, all speak French. If I only wanted to hear English I would have stayed in the UK Wink It comes with the territory, no?
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked this in the interview, that is why I posted it.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yurii wrote:
Yes, but JMBF isn't there the lack of teaching license something to take into consideration? I remember reading about the salary scale before and I'm sure it said pay was capped for all those without a teaching license after a certain level. So, as far as I see it long-term, say 10 years in the programme, your salary will be much much lower than someone else with a teaching license. Of course it's still one of the best salaries in EFL but it seemed to me the difference between someone in the programme 10 years with a teaching license vs someone without means a vast difference in salary. Or is this something that has changed??

Yes there is a salary bar for those without QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) but there is nothing stopping a teacher from getting their teaching license while working under the EDB NET scheme. Several HK universities offer part-time courses that allow a teacher to gain QTS. In fact, I know a few teachers on the scheme who are doing just that.
CEB

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you needed to be a registered teacher to be in the SNET scheme but I just had a look online and there seems to be a category 6 and 7. I wonder if that's new? Does anyone know?

Category 6 (to be appointed at GM rank, MPS pt. 15-33, with salary bar at MPS pt. 20)

(i) a bachelor’s degree in English Language or English Literature or English Studies or Linguistics# or a Modern Language# from a Hong Kong university or equivalent;
(ii) a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at the diploma level, or equivalent; and
(iii) at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

Category 7 (to be appointed at GM rank, MPS pt. 15-33, with salary bar at MPS pt. 20)

(i) a bachelor’s degree in any subject from a Hong Kong university or equivalent;
(ii) a master’s degree in TEFL/TESL, or equivalent; and
(iii) at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

Being in one of those categories is not ideal but you still have a chance.
yurii

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
yurii wrote:

Yes there is a salary bar for those without QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) but there is nothing stopping a teacher from getting their teaching license while working under the EDB NET scheme. Several HK universities offer part-time courses that allow a teacher to gain QTS. In fact, I know a few teachers on the scheme who are doing just that.

Sure, of course, but it's worth knowing that the salary bar exists.

mitsui wrote:
I was asked this in the interview, that is why I posted it.

Okay.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Offer for SNET Reply with quote

BellaBelle wrote:
Is there a retirement plan?

Sorry didn't answer this one before.

Yes, there is a retirement plan called the Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF). 5% of your income (up to a cap of HK 1,500 / month) is taken from your salary and put into a retirement fund. Your employer will match this amount. So in your case, HKD 3,000 total per month will be added into your retirement fund. You can withdraw this money upon retirement OR if you decide to permanently leave Hong Kong.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Kowloon wrote:

The OP lives in the UAE.

Sorry. Brain freeze moment.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
yurii wrote:

I am currently doing just that
Kowloon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Offer for SNET Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
BellaBelle wrote:
Is there a retirement plan?

Sorry didn't answer this one before.

Yes, there is a retirement plan called the Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF). 5% of your income (up to a cap of HK 1,500 / month) is taken from your salary and put into a retirement fund. Your employer will match this amount. So in your case, HKD 3,000 total per month will be added into your retirement fund. You can withdraw this money upon retirement OR if you decide to permanently leave Hong Kong.

FYI, the school's contributions are deducted from your bonus every two years. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: