Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prices have gone up!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Prices have gone up!! Reply with quote

I'm going back to Poland in a couple of weeks after 9 months away and I've been looking at prices out of curiosity. I have to say food prices have really shot up in supermarkets and restaurants. Clothes, cosmetics and electrical goods were always dear but food never. Looking at a few restaurants, average starters were in the 30 PLN range and mains in the 60 PLN range. That ain't cheap.

I'm buying some more property there and have to say, I'm umming and ahing whether to buy it in the UK instead. The prices are like UK regional prices in the big Polish cities.

Another thing I've noticed is that the single teachers in Poz are now dropping like flies and loads have left or are on the verge of leaving. This is a sign that EFL is no longer a viable way of life.

2 incomes and you can do it until kids come along and then life gets real. Those who bought 10 years ago have done OK but where you gonna move to?

We have lots of Polish friends there and in the UAE, where I work. Out here not 1 of them ever wants to go back.

Sad really.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some food prices in supermarkets definitely have. I would guess theyre trying to make up for PiS Sundays. Poland's future is uncertain under the current regime. I question buying a place here myself. UK? Id go for a nice Southern EU island 😊
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: ho hum Reply with quote

Went to warsaw last week. Managed to stay in Platinum Apartments near the Palace of Culture for 250PLN (great price). Popped downstairs to a place called Winotek, which wa s awine shop with a couple of tables outside. A bottle of wine and a sharing platter of cheese and salami came to 250PLN!!!!! The IPA I had all evening with my pals in Koszyki was 16PLN a pint. We took several taxis in Warsaw as it's spread out and each seemed to be about 20 PLN. When you compare those prices to salaries, it's a shocker. 1 day and night in Warsaw basically cost us about 1000 PLN and that's not including the petrol to get there and back from Poz.
Must say, WAW's changed a lot and is pretty cool these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: