Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying For a Z Work Visa in Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigZen

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Applying For a Z Work Visa in Japan Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone out there has applied for a Z Work Visa in Japan, without having to return to their home country to do it. I am Canadian and will be visiting Ottawa, Canada for two weeks in early August. My future employer (a university in China) is concerned that I will not have enough time to get everything done in 10 working days, in order to begin teaching in early September. The Visa Center for China office in Ottawa suggested I apply through their office in Osaka. I would like to know if anyone else had done everything for their application here in Japan. Criminal Background Check, Medical Exam, getting documents notarized by a Japanese Lawyer, then authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then submitting your application to the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo

Sincerely,

BigZen
Modernist

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nothing is ever forever in China, it may be possible to do this now. But what I always understood was that if you've never gotten a Z visa before, the first one has to be done in the home country.

As far as getting them from other Chinese embassies in Asia goes, I personally got one in Hong Kong last year, but that was my second. I don't think Chinese embassies are known for being terribly interested in working with non-citizen, non-permanent resident foreigners in most countries. There was a thread here months ago about a poster trying to deal with the Chinese embassy in Manila and they wouldn't do anything for him. My instinct would be that you wouldn't get far in Japan either.

I doubt there's any formal restriction on it, but I think the idea is that the embassy in Japan serves Japanese people, and if you're Canadian, you should go to the embassy in Canada. I also doubt strongly that they would look favorably on a Japanese CBC done on a Canadian, or a Canadian degree authenticated by a Japanese lawyer. China wants things to match. Otherwise they have to do too much thinking.

As for time in Canada, it depends on if you have all documents ready to take in the office on the day of arrival. If you pay them for express service you should be okay. If you don't have your documents you're going to be in trouble. Especially the CBC.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernist is correct on the 'China wants things to match' statement!
It is phenomenal over here, they won't even bother asking questions or thinking outside the box when it comes to issues like this I'm afraid!
I've ran into a few issues over the years when it came to slight indiscrepencies with documentation for work permit, banking, etc. They don't want to hear reason, but tell you to go away and get everything in order (the documentation must all match).
Spatula City

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say what it's like for the FEB wherever you're going, but I am from N. America and did the entire process in a European country-- it was my first time coming to China.

I did have to show my proof of residence, however.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that proof of residence in residence country or home country?
Clarifying my earlier post.
This does show a tiny loophole in the Z visa process.
Thinking back I do recall an American teacher joining my school (Dalian) direct from Korea. He didn't go back to the US, but I didn't think much of it at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: