Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading your post, Dove. It was well-written and thoughtful. I was in Japan from 1989 to 1994 and, overall, I enjoyed the experience. As an older teacher I wasn't interested in too much socializing, and I enjoyed being left alone. I didn't really have any expectations of being accepted. Since when have outsiders been greeted with open arms.
dove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Yanklonigan.

I think a lot of foreign teachers in Japan (especially younger teachers) think there is a right and wrong way of experiencing Japan. The "right" way is being welcomed with open arms to all the traditional cultural activities (look at me! I just got back from rice planting!) to only socializing with Japanese friends, to learning 1000 kanji, to becoming a regular at an izakaya. Sure, those things are nice, but it's not the only way to have a connection to Japan.

I always thought "Hell, I am paying taxes on my salary, so I am connected to this country."

Oh, and I realized that other gaijin can often be the source of discomfort in Japan. Never have I experienced more oneupmanship than when I lived in Japan. I quickly learned to stay way clear of those types.
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan? Reply with quote

Uh, you've been here ten years, and you're living in a share house?

?)[/quote]

Yes, because I don't want to give 1 month's rent to a real estate agency that has done nothing for me except show me an apartment.

It shouldn't be the tenants compensating the real estate agencies. It should be the apartment building owners. But, that's Japan always ripping-ff the lowly workers.

And the latest scam by real estate companies here is double-dipping. They used to charge the exorbitant apartment cleaning fee only to the person moving out of the apartment. However, now they are also charging it to the person moving into the apartment.

This would aptly be called "being robbed in broad daylight." I'm sorry, but I think anybody that pays these fees is a sucker.

I do understand that there are UR apartments that don't have these fees. That's the way to go.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan? Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
These days, when I see newly-arrived Indians working in convenience stores and fast food joints, I just think "Good luck ever feeling a part of this society, buddy!"

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about the Indians. They will form their own Little India once enough of them get established, and start playing cricket in the park on Sundays. Having lived 18 years overseas myself, I can say that this desire to feel a connection, fit in, whatever you want to call it is mostly a Western desire. The diaspora of other nationalities simply create their own mini societies.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the extent individual postings exceed 300 words they are removed from the public board.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT It's great that you got so much out of your Japan experience on your own terms.

And I get what you are saying about not prescribing one right way to be here.

I wrote about cooperating with the chonaikai. Membership isn't obligatory, but nearly all residents pitch in. I just did what was expected of a householder there. The old folks were happy to have a younger person around. I made myself useful when we had huge snowfall a few years ago, clearing the streets so old people could get out to do errands.

People who live in apartments won't necessarily have the same experience. Apartments may be preferable for those who like to keep a smaller profile.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man said

Quote:
Yes, because I don't want to give 1 month's rent to a real estate agency that has done nothing for me except show me an apartment.

The real estate companies I've dealt with do a lot. I've had a brand new services put in to replace failing old ones. Inspectors came the same day or next day when I called. All at no cost to me.

The place I'm in now is 10 years old, but inside, kitchen, bath, doors, wallpaper, flooring and hardware are new. That's what I paid for in the initial fees.

The last two places I moved out of returned my deposit, one month's rent each time, after I did the cleaning myself.

You mention UR. I looked at a UR building in my area and the rooms, cleanliness, and rental terms were impressive. I'd go UR next time.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Osaka? My Japanese friends said people there were a lot warmer than Tokyo...

And, it might just be a case of you not meeting the right people? Try to find Japanese who have studied overseas... they're probably much more open to befriending a gaijin. Finding lifelong friends is hard in any country these days Sad
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhorse wrote

Quote:
Try Osaka? My Japanese friends said people there were a lot warmer than Tokyo...

You are still in school, and have yet to live here, right?

Anecdotes from my non-Japanese friends support this impression that Osaka is a great place to be. An American who has since gone home was nostalgic about his time there, and identified so strongly with Osaka culture that he spoke Kansai-ben despite having relocated to Tokyo.

A European friend who took a break from Japanese language school went for a weekend. She got chatted up by a front man of a rock band, and the rest is history. She's married with two amazing kids.

The martial arts dojo where I train here in Tokyo receives Osaka-Kansai members a few times a year. The banter between them and our local members and the infectious energy they bring are awesome. We're always sad to see them off.

If I didn't have big commitments where I am now, I would seriously consider moving to Osaka.

Quote:
Try to find Japanese who have studied overseas... they're probably much more open to befriending a gaijin.

This is a difficult issue, my dude.

The risks - you end up spending time with people who are just indulging their nostalgia of their student days. Or worse, you get English vampire types, who just see you as target practice. People who are strong English speakers, and gravitate to your culture, may accommodate you a lot, so you are comfy, but not getting the full immersion deal. Depending on how invested you want to be in Japanese culture, and how long you want to be here, you block your opportunities to learn Japanese language and culture.

But to be fair, you may meet people with overseas experience who become allies and lifelong friends.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osaka was nice, I loved it there. Kansai people are great, but from what I have heard, the schools can be incredibly bad. As a dad I wouldn't want to live there TBH. But ESID, many here don't have kids, so their choices would be different from mine
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing out there for ゴミ当番 is a good way to meet neighbors. Take some gloves and pick up a little, get there early and leave late, or even tell the next person that they can go home, and that you'll take their shift.

Or go out early when you don't have duty and help whoever it is set things up for the day.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to get work in Osaka. They ask for a lot. Plus the board of ed went the dispatch route. It is competitive there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: