Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking Authenticity of the CELTA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
H5N1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Checking Authenticity of the CELTA Reply with quote

I'll be interviewing candidates for teaching positions soon and it's my first time doing so.

My company does not want to accept fake degrees of CELTAs or TEFLs.

How can I check if a job applicant's CELTA is real?

There is online access for this with the Cambridge exams (KET, PET, FCE, etc) for the test takers but I have not found anything on how to check the authenticity of a CELTA teaching certificate.

I do not have a username for the teacher's section on this site.

Thanks in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA isn't on the Cambridge English list for online exam verification. (See https://verifier.cambridgeenglish.org/User/ShowExams).

In other countries, the job candidate is responsible for obtaining a certifying statement from Cambridge that indicates his/her CELTA score. There's a fee involved. (See the section, Applying for a certifying statement, on Cambridge's site.)
H5N1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
CELTA isn't on the Cambridge English list for online exam verification. (See https://verifier.cambridgeenglish.org/User/ShowExams).

In other countries, the job candidate is responsible for obtaining a certifying statement from Cambridge that indicates his/her CELTA score. There's a fee involved. (See the section, Applying for a certifying statement, on Cambridge's site.)

Thank you very much, nomad soul.

That never came up on my google searches.

I will be asking a couple of candidates to provide a certifying statement on their CELTA.

Also, I need to do some research to see if degrees (BA & BS) are real.

There are websites that produce tons of fake degrees.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H5N1 wrote:

That should also be the job applicant's responsibility. They can provide either a notarized statement from their university registrar or their official academic transcript of they're moved along the hiring process.
H5N1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
H5N1 wrote:

That should also be the job applicant's responsibility. They can provide either a notarized statement from their university registrar or their official academic transcript of they're moved along the hiring process.

Yes,

As for notarization I have seen a degree that was fake that was notarized by the US Embassy.

I also know someone with a fake Bachelor's that had his (European) Embassy notarize it.

The only way around these shenanigans is to ask for transcips to be mailed in directly.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H5N1 wrote:
As for notarization I have seen a degree that was fake that was notarized by the US Embassy.

I also know someone with a fake Bachelor's that had his (European) Embassy notarize it.

US embassies are not authorized to validate US academic credentials and state so on their country-specific websites (e.g., the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Vietnam).

BTW, there's a difference between notarizing and validating. The former just certifies that the person signing a document is who he/she says they are by showing some sort of official photo ID. In other words, Joe Blow signs a statement that his diploma from X University is an original. The notary doesn't do a background check to confirm if Joe's statement is true; they only certify that he is the person signing it. On the other hand, validation entails an affidavit from the entity that originated the diploma (i.e., the university registrar) affirming that Joe Blow graduated from X University. The registrar signs the affidavit in the presence of a university notary who confirms his/her identity.

For your purposes, the process doesn't need to go past verification from the university. Plus, you can look up individual universities to check accreditation.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related question to the OP.

When applicants send in CELTAs can I check for the Certificate of Authenticity of their CETLA myself on the Cambridge website, or do I have to request that the applicant send me the Certificate of Authenticity?

Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

When applicants send in CELTAs can I check for the Certificate of Authenticity of their CETLA myself on the Cambridge website, or do I have to request that the applicant send me the Certificate of Authenticity?

See my initial post.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Mattingly wrote:

See my initial post.

Here is your initial post:

Quote:

Just to clarify, the CELTA website can provide the CELTA graduate with a certificate of authentification and only the graduate - but nobody else.

However the first sentence above states that the CELTA is not on the Cambridge English list for online verification.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:
Just to clarify, the CELTA website can provide the CELTA graduate with a certificate of authentification and only the graduate - but nobody else.

However the first sentence above states that the CELTA is not on the Cambridge English list for online verification.

There is no such "CELTA website" for authentication.

Per the link in my initial post:
Quote:
Applying for a certifying statement

A certifying statement is a document which is accepted by universities and other institutions as proof of the examination result. Certifying statements can be requested by the candidate or by the candidate's centre of entry. Certifying statements requested by third parties must have written permission from the candidate. These can be sent, either directly to the candidate or to any public institution.

We accept payment by invoice (centres only) or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). We do not accept American Express or Diners Club. Our online forms will ask for all mandatory fields to be completed and will automatically calculate the appropriate fee required. When the form has been submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation that their application form has been received including a unique reference number.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Mattingly wrote:

There is no such "CELTA website" for authentication.

Per the link in my initial post:
Quote:
Applying for a certifying statement

A certifying statement is a document which is accepted by universities and other institutions as proof of the examination result. Certifying statements can be requested by the candidate or by the candidate's centre of entry. Certifying statements requested by third parties must have written permission from the candidate. These can be sent, either directly to the candidate or to any public institution.

We accept payment by invoice (centres only) or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). We do not accept American Express or Diners Club. Our online forms will ask for all mandatory fields to be completed and will automatically calculate the appropriate fee required. When the form has been submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation that their application form has been received including a unique reference number.

If there is no CELTA (or Cambridge website) then how can this be done at all?

In general, as for your second quote, the CELTA graduate will provide the Certificate of Authentification unless a 3rd party asks permission.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

Looking up a CELTA holder's Certificate of Authenticity online is simply not a service Cambridge offers. Given that each year approximately 12,000 people worldwide pass the CELTA, it's likely too costly for Cambridge to maintain a public database. That's more than 200,000 CELTAs alone just over the past 20 years.

and wrote:
In general, as for your second quote, the CELTA graduate will provide the Certificate of Authentification unless a 3rd party asks permission.

And they can argue over who forks out the money to pay for it, especially if that 3rd party is a prospective employer looking to hire a bunch of CELTA holders.

See the following:
Mattingly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Mattingly wrote:

Looking up a CELTA holder's Certificate of Authenticity online is simply not a service Cambridge offers. Given that each year approximately 12,000 people worldwide pass the CELTA, it's likely too costly for Cambridge to maintain a public database. That's more than 200,000 CELTAs alone just over the past 20 years.

and wrote:

And they can argue over who forks out the money to pay for it, especially if that 3rd party is a prospective employer looking to hire a bunch of CELTA holders.

See the following:

Thank you for the response.

Got it.

I do know that about 12 years ago teachers were arriving in Vietnam because their fake CELTAs were caught - even after having been submitted years before.

So....there is a way at times to spot the fakes.
earlybirdgetstheworm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking Authenticity of the CELTA Reply with quote

H5N1 wrote:
I'll be interviewing candidates for teaching positions soon and it's my first time doing so.

My company does not want to accept fake degrees of CELTAs or TEFLs.

How can I check if a job applicant's CELTA is real?

There is online access for this with the Cambridge exams (KET, PET, FCE, etc) for the test takers but I have not found anything on how to check the authenticity of a CELTA teaching certificate.

I do not have a username for the teacher's section on this site.

Thanks in advance.

Cambridge can offer verification as follows:
(This was from a UK visa agent)

In order to expedite the process we would need you to email the University of Cambridge directly at the following email address: [email protected] requesting of them to send a verification of your CELTA award to the Saudi Cultural Bureau.

Now for this, they will ask for the following, which we’ve attached for you so you can attach these documents to your email:

A copy of your passport (ID page)
A copy of your CELTA certificate
A completed UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE consent letter (attached)
The records office at the University of Cambridge will then post out a verification of your award to the Saudi Cultural Bureau within 48 hours.
Please note that the University of Cambridge will not release any results by telephone, fax or e-mail.

In most cases, they will reply by email informing you that they have posted out a confirmation of your award to the Saudi Cultural Bureau. There will be no need for any further action from your side.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earlybirdgetstheworm wrote:
Cambridge can offer verification as follows:
(This was from a UK visa agent)

In order to expedite the process we would need you to email the University of Cambridge directly at the following email address: [email protected] requesting of them to send a verification of your CELTA award to the Saudi Cultural Bureau.

Definitely the wrong forum. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: