Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University teachers fired on say of student informants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: University teachers fired on say of student informants Reply with quote

As China tightens ideological control of universities, an increasing number of university teachers in China have been suspended or fired after students informed on them for making politically inappropriate remarks in class.

Academics say in recent years it has become commonplace for Chinese universities to monitor whether teachers are conforming to ideological diktats handed down by the Communist Party of China. But even official newspapers in China have noted as “relatively new” the increase in the numbers of professors being reported by their own students for comments deemed politically sensitive or inappropriate.

http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20180615170735269
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....
What did they call that ?
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers should be aware there is probably a student in every class whose job is to report on the teacher. Really. If you are late, if you say something inappropriate, etc. it will get back to the school authorities.

There's no need for an English teacher to talk politics, religion, or try to "change" the way Chinese students view the world. Just teach English. It can be done sticking to safe topics. Also, no matter how bad your day is, don't denigrate your host country in your class. Go have a drink with your coworkers and get it off your chest.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: China 101 Reply with quote

Every class you teach at university has a class monitor and an assistant class monitor as well as other students for other specific purposes. All of them would be glad to discuss your every word. I always ask on day one who the class monitor is just so they know I've been around and I treat them like any other student.

Further, universities are run ideologically by the CP on campus not the school president, he is just for show. CP functionaries have their own structure on campus and are the only real source of power.

You are a guest here in China, if you're on a mission from God go home. Otherwise, teach English and leave controversy out of it.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hardly anything new. There have always been class monitors, and in addition, many of your students will be members of both the Students union and also "the Young Communists".

Every State university will have a "morality" department whose purpose is to defend the minds of the students.

As for Politics, leave it outside the borders. It's not worth the hassle, you will never be right, and your colleagues will be just as quick to report you, as the students themselves. Never forget that behind all the smiles, you are still considered a foreigner and unlikely to be staying very long. [It's worth considering that your views on politics/morals/etc are likely to be different from your fellow FTs too... don't automatically assume anything.]

Quote:
There's no need for an English teacher to talk politics, religion, or try to "change" the way Chinese students view the world.

I have religion as part of my course content. It's not a big deal. You just don't promote religion... deal with the facts. Dry and clinical.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my experience. I teach hs though.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Not my experience. I teach hs though.

It may not be obvious, but there are monitors in all of the HS classes also.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact I do not care helps.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I think the fact I do not care helps.

Well said nimadecaomei. Just do what you do. Teach what you need to teach. I give my monitors a little bit of work to do, not too much.

They do talk to the dean, because I specifically asked him "are the students enjoying my class?" He confirmed that yes, all the monitors had given him positive feedback.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first starting teaching at university level, they'd give me the Western Culture classes, and being quite young, I figured that sex was a major influence within our societies. Also my students tended to ask about dating, marriage, cheating etc. which led to rather "open" conversations.

The majority of the students in the classes tended to enjoy the discussions (not that I was going into any real detail) but there were always the few conservative types who got offended. Naturally, I had asked them to speak to me about it, but they went to their class tutors or the Morality board. I got interviewed, explained what I'd spoken about, pointed out the relevance to western culture, and said if they wanted me to stop, I'd move to another university. If you don't give me a curriculum to teach, don't be surprised when a FT introduces or encourages varied content. Generally, I received compliments from the board in dealing with the topic honestly, and they left me alone.

China is one of those places where results are very random. In any case, I do recommend to do as you please, but be aware that there are usually consequences. How you deal with those consequences is what determines how your stay in China will be like. Nowadays, I rarely speak about sex in class, and only do so in the most roundabout of ways. The environment here has changed. Students are more open but administrative depts are more traditional.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several off-topic postings have been deleted. If there are repeats, it is more than highly probable the authors of the off-topic or otherwise inappropriate postings will quickly be leaving our community on a permanent basis.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cormac wrote:

Every State university will have a "morality" department whose purpose is to defend the minds of the students

Sadly, this comment now equally applies to university professors in many western countries. They call them diversity tribunals, or various other names. Nobody is safe.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. When you're living and working in a foreign country, especially at a school, you're an ambassador of your home country. Respect for the host country is a given, and any denigration of their culture is a faux pas in the largest degree.

This is especially true in China, where most foreigners are from privileged countries who have no experience or knowledge of a place with such a different way of life, especially China.

If you want to moralize become a missionary. If you want to criticize the government become a journalist or a politician. If you're an English teacher, teach English. You don't need an agenda, just teach English.

We had a teacher here who insisted on having political discussions in class. Everyone hated his classes. Its just not appropriate for a foreign teacher.

Private discussions are, of course, different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: