Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working at The Second Foreign Language School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teac23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Working at The Second Foreign Language School Reply with quote

It's The Second Foreign Language School Affiliated to Shanghai Normal University. It's far away from downtown (2 hours by subway). Two of the departments are a mess, the HR and the Academic one. They can't answer basic questions, like: “What is the curriculum of this school?”, or “When are my docs going to be ready?”. There is a nucleus of very good students that keep the school going. The rest are playing with their phones being insensitive at almost everything. Nobody in the school talks about the school life, only about their personal lives and there is also a tendency in mocking education and the best students/ teachers. There is also racism, you here replicas like: “What? Now they hire Indians?”. This was about an outstanding teacher who finally left. Most teachers simply leave. Nobody cares, nobody does nothing about anything, the school basically relays on the desire of some students to learn and of some teachers to teach.
rocket man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I worked there until January and it was a clusterf

There are some very good foreign teachers there who tried their best and an incredible south african academic director who has been put in a horrible situation by his Chinese overlords.

The lack of any discipline by the Chinese staff and the kowtowing to the students only caring about the parent's tuition gave the teachers absolutely no control in the classroom. See my earlier post about what happened to me

HR person was an idiot, for some reason I got lucky in terms of getting my residence permit transferred though it meant I had to spend last summer in Shanghai. Many teachers had to go on visa runs one was gone for a month because of HR's incompetence

no wonder a vast majority of the teachers are leaving the school.

best advice is don't take a job.
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, how much did they pay you guys?
rocket man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much did they pay you guys?

pay was decent around 20k/month plus housing but not worth it for the crap. I'm still friends with people who taught there so I have been talking with them All but two of the teachers have left. One of them is staying because his Chinese wife is from the area and is going to "help" the academic director with discipline.

The Chinese head of the program was fired a couple of weeks ago and the new regime tried to keep teachers from leaving.

The incompetent HR person has been removed, her higher up I dealt with before I left and she was OK, things MAY improve with her.

The big problem remains the Chinese people in charge of discipline they remain above the academic director in terms of discipline, one is related to the owners of the school.

IF the academic director (like I said before one the best people I've ever worked with and if he ever left China I'd work for him again and I'm not being paid to say that) can get a decent curriculum implemented and discipline was maintained it COULD become an OK place to work despite being a long way from the center of town. I dont trust their Chinese higher ups on this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: