Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too late to find something else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The director can still be reached , by wechat or email , so that seems a very weak excuse, and of course once you have paid for the HK trip they may decide to only part-reimburse you.
Depending on the flight cost you're looking at a total outlay of 3K -4 K rmb in HK, assuming you stay somewhere cheap.

In my personal experience, having been screwed over by a school over money between signing the contract and starting work (only a matter of 500RMB a month) , I felt I could not trust the school management, and felt resentful for most of the year I was there, every month on payday!

If you walk away , do you have an alternative plan?
the school could flag you as a problem and other places in China may be reluctant to sign you on, but I don't think you have any legal or moral obligation to this school.
Any contract you signed , before the z visa, is just really a preliminary agreement on the terms of the contract you will sign when the z visa is issued and you return to China.
But you also need plan 'c' , in case you encounter problems with other schools in China, and also because the extension on you visa will run out soon. For example , can you return home and re-apply for the next semester, or bail to Vietnam and find work in Hanoi for six months or a year?
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised you’re still there OP. I’d have been long gone.

Having been messed around myself previously, i’d suggest looking at this as a learning experience. Always have a little pot of gold or a back up plan so that you give an employer like this the two finger salute and walk. Too many jobs here to necessitate dealing with muppets.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really been in this situation before, so I'm not sure what I can do if I back out. The humanitarian visa doesn't give enough time to find something new, which means my only option is going home if things don't pan out. I'm lucky my I have my family back home as a safety net.

I'm pissed because I jumped through a lot of hoops to get my first Z visa (I was in China on a tourist visa and did everything by mail to an visa agent from South Korea). I also did my diploma and CBC authentification my mail for the sole purpose of not having to go back to do all this stuff (I love my family but I prefer to save my money and travel within Asia rather than go home every year). They wasted my perfectly valid res. permit after promising they knew what to do, and now they expect me to blindly shell out my own savings for a measly salary and yet another uncertain promise. I'm not a Peace Corps volunteer - I need to be able to earn and save.

As for whether they might try to ruin my reputation to other schools, well, I have five perfectly good years of experience at two other universities that loved me and would be more than happy to vouch for me.
kona

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
I've never really been in this situation before, so I'm not sure what I can do if I back out. The humanitarian visa doesn't give enough time to find something new, which means my only option is going home if things don't pan out. I'm lucky my I have my family back home as a safety net.

I'm pissed because I jumped through a lot of hoops to get my first Z visa (I was in China on a tourist visa and did everything by mail to an visa agent from South Korea). I also did my diploma and CBC authentification my mail for the sole purpose of not having to go back to do all this stuff (I love my family but I prefer to save my money and travel within Asia rather than go home every year). They wasted my perfectly valid res. permit after promising they knew what to do, and now they expect me to blindly shell out my own savings for a measly salary and yet another uncertain promise. I'm not a Peace Corps volunteer - I need to be able to earn and save.

As for whether they might try to ruin my reputation to other schools, well, I have five perfectly good years of experience at two other universities that loved me and would be more than happy to vouch for me.

So... what's keeping you? Bail to Taiwan or Vietnam, come back to China in 6 months or a year. Doesn't seem worth the hassle imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: