Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a terrible offer / salary for Doha ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bardo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Is this a terrible offer / salary for Doha ? Reply with quote

I have recently been offered a teaching position at a school in Doha.

They have offered me 11,000 Qatar Riyal or 3020 US dollars per month, which at first seems a bit on the low side to me.

Also what I didn't expect is that they said they would then deduct about 3250 Riyals ,which is 893 US dollars each month to pay for my accommodation, which is a shared apartment with other teachers.

I assumed that normally jobs in the Middle East would provide a free place to stay, or is it now common to deduct apartment rent from teachers salary.?

So actually what I will receive every month will only be 7800, which is 2140 US dollars, and I would be working about 120 hours each mon
I should also add that they want me to work 6 days a week from Saturday to Thursday.

Should I accept this offer , is this standard there right now, or is it well below the norm, or should I expect far more than this.

I have more than 10 years teaching experience .
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better employers in the region: 1) pay more, 2) provide a housing allowance or unshared housing free of charge, and 3) require reasonable work hours.

Generally, mediocre pay and benefits are due to either a cheapo employer or a job candidate's minimal qualifications, or both. You haven't provided enough info to determine which fits you. Regardless, if you find this low offer unsatisfactory, apply elsewhere.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very low offer but I have seen offers like that often from, for example, Indian owned schools (which, to be fair, have much lower fees). I personally wouldn't do it but it depends what your qualifications are and how much you want to be in Doha. If you're a qualified school teacher with US or UK curriculum experience, you should be getting much more.

Bear in mind that once in Qatar, it's difficult to switch employer so you can't accept one job with the hope of getting something better once you're on the ground. As Nomad Soul says, if you don't like the offer, don't take it.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a terrible offer / salary for Doha ?

Yes.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council is advertising at the moment. It pays about 11,000 per month plus free, single accommodation. Might be a better option for you....
baa_baa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks Lad wrote:
The British Council is advertising at the moment. It pays about 11,000 per month plus free, single accommodation. Might be a better option for you....

really? so shocked about this.

@owner of this thread. well according to this you have a good offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: