Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shenzhen, Kunming & Xiamen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Shenzhen, Kunming & Xiamen? Reply with quote

Hi to everyone:

I'm a native speaker of English (U.S.) with a BA in English from a U.S. university and an ESL Cert. from Oxford Seminars.

I want to get work teaching ESL in China, for at least a year, and at wages sufficient to save enough to go back to South America and travel while living frugally for a solid year.

Can those who know from actual lived experience give me insights about Shenzhen, Kunming & Xiamen, as cities to live in? Good points, bad points? I don't at this point know even one word of Chinese.

Thanks for your insights here.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenzhen generally has the highest wages of these cities, although individual jobs vary. Shenzhen is Hong Kong lite (wannabe). Modern, sprawling glass and steel with lots of westernized shopping malls, traffic, and a fair amount of pollution. Not much historical charm. People from all over China come here to work. Most cosmopolitan. Good night life options and a good regional travel hub with HK right next door.

Kunming is a charming smaller city. Clean air, historical charm. Boasts that it is springtime year-round (well, umm), but nice weather. Socially, it is the quietest of these cities and by far the most isolated. Good travel options within the same province.

Xiamen is a lovely tourist city on the coast. So cleaner air, decent beach. Lots of good restaurants and food options. A bit of a chinese bohemian vibe. A very nice place to live if you don't have to deal with the tourist buses and crowds on a daily basis. If so, it's not so great.
leretif9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insights here.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you would go wrong with any of these cities; Shenzhen is a big very modern city , so you will use the metro a lot to get around. It has an 'expat', business vibe, with prices and facilities to match. It could be a struggle if you need to find your own place to live on a esl teacher's wage..

Xiamen and Kunming are much more traditional cities. Downtown Xiamen is over-run with tour buses and tourists from other parts of China, but as the other poster said, if you live on campus you may not notice this on a daily basis. Although I think the main Xiamen Uni campus is itself a tourist photo spot.
Kunming has a reputation as a backpackers' refuge, for travellers stopping off to earn money from the rest of SE Asia, so the job market is probably competitive, and wages won't be high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: