Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or Equivalent meaning.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryPheal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: CELTA or Equivalent meaning..... Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I am from Australia. I completed my bachelors here in a University. After I completed my bachelors I decided to go down the path of English teaching. I had the choice between continuing on at my University and doing a TESOL Cert IV, or leaving and doing the CELTA at IH. As both courses cost exactly the same amount and the amount of face to face and practicum hours were the same (120 hrs with 6 hrs practicum) I decided to stay with my University. Since then I have been working at an institute in Sydney (4 years full time with 2 years as a head teacher). I love my job and decided to return to my University to do a Masters in Applied Linguistics. Now, due to some family circumstances I will be moving to Europe at the end of this year (specifically Portugal). So, my question is, in your opinion, do you believe my credentials will be dismissed by credible institutions (such as the British Council) because I do not have a CELTA?

Any advice would be welcome as this is the first time in my career I have been engulfed with anxiety!

Thank you!

Ryan
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recruited people while at the British Council, I can tell you that it's the number of face to face hours and hours of teaching practice that are important, not the name.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bograt said.

Just in case, since no-one is likely to have had any experience of your university TESOL cert, I'd include those two pieces of information in the covering letter or CV. The recruiter should be prepared to check, but with X hundred applications, they might not always bother when doing their first cut.
BryPheal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I think I just read a lot of comments on reddit about all decent schools in Europe (British Council etc) disregarding CV's if they don't have CELTAS and absolutely freaked out! ha. Hopefully it all works out and I find work in a decent school.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: