Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Ready, Teach Now, Certification Systematic Review?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Teacher Ready, Teach Now, Certification Systematic Review? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I know there have been other threads about alternative education programs.

I really did want to start one about Teacher Ready, Teach Now, etc.

I understand I tend to over-post, over-communicate, etc. I simply want to be thorough, and see things I did not see before.

I would appreciate it if people made thoughtful comments, not negative remarks, etc.

1. Who has done Teacher Ready or Teach Now? Do people think it was worth it?

2. How easy was it to get certified in additional degrees, or get reciprocity to other states?

3. Any other ways you might suggest?

My goal is just to get some sort of US teaching credential because it gives me a higher pay boost when abroad. It also is the minimum qualification for international schools.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Teacher Ready, Teach Now, Certification Systematic Revie Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
I understand I tend to over-post, over-communicate, etc. I simply want to be thorough, and see things I did not see before.
My goal is just to get some sort of US teaching credential because it gives me a higher pay boost when abroad. It also is the minimum qualification for international schools.

It seems you gave up on pursuing a PGCE from South Africa.

If you want to "be thorough and see things you did not see before," a good place to start for current info:
As for the ROI of a US teaching cert/license for use abroad, it depends on what your long-term goals are, where you want to teach, and what qualifications are required for your target jobs. For example, teacher ed courses studied online may not be accepted by some employers or education ministries. Also, keep in mind that teaching licenses generally have an expiration date and require renewal, which could entail exams and/or continuing education coursework. Your target employers might not accept expired teaching credentials.
bj80

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NomadSoul.

1. Sorry to sound dumb. It's just my mission has always been the same: find the most direct route to getting a certification that gives me more job options and pay grades.

2. Honestly, this process seems more cumbersome that it seems. All 50 US states, British system, etc. have their own way of doing things. When you move to a new area, perhaps the teaching certification is worthwhile, perhaps it is useless.

At least with the CELTA, it'll be appreciated everywhere.

3. I know online master's are not accepted in the Middle East. Where can we research immigration laws for these certifications? Would they even care if the certification, rather than the degree, was online?
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ACPs are generally held to a lower standard than traditional routes and this tenfold with regard to online ACPs.

International schools that require a Western teaching credential will be privy to the shortcut you are trying to take;
schools offering that higher salary are not going to fork it over to an ESL backpacker who completed a few online modules. Additionally, as has been mentioned on this forum countless times, that Western teaching credential requires at least two years of experience IN the issuing country (e.g. you need to have worked as a teacher for two years in Iowa after getting an Iowa teaching license).

I don't know what you mean by getting 'certified additional degrees', but while teaching license reciprocity across the board does not exist, a licensed teacher from state A usually just needs to pass the qualifying exam from state B in order to begin working( a little more or a little less depending on the states in question). Moreover, a CELTA really holds no weight with International schools and is by and large worthless in the U.S., which I have to assume you’re also considering given that you’re asking about license reciprocity.
miniuser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed Teach Now. I'll try to answer your questions. I'm currently at an international school, but I teach secondary math (never taught ESL) so keep that in mind.

1. Yeah, it was worth it for me. I knew I needed certification to teach at any halfway decent international school, and it accomplished that more cheaply and in less time than going back for another degree. Possibly more importantly, they found a school for me to do my field experience which resulted in more connections/opportunities.

While I generally believe in treating anything "cheaper and faster" with extreme caution and skepticism, the consensus from other IS admin/teachers seems to be that there's no discrimination against people who get their certification from TN/TR. However, I do recall hearing about a couple Middle East countries (can't recall which ones ATM) that require your undergraduate degree to be in education or the subject you're teaching. Do your due diligence about the countries you're teaching/want to teach in, but most places it's not an issue.

Also note that it's an accelerated program. There's nothing especially difficult about the work, but it will take a significant time commitment (their website's 15 hours/week avg. seems reasonable but on the low side to me...it's not like undergrad where they tell you to spend x hours/week/course but in reality you can get by doing nothing and then cramming the night before exams). It's certainly doable while working a full-time job, but just know that it will be a lot.

2. By "additional degrees" I assume you mean getting certified in different subjects. I haven't tried getting certified in anything besides Math, but it's just a matter of taking the relevant Praxis exams to get cross-certified (ETS has all the Praxis info on their site).

Can't comment on state-to-state reciprocity, but I'm pretty sure most states have some form of at least temporarily acknowledging credentials from other states.

Once you have a couple years experience as a certified teacher, NJ offers a lifetime credential that requires no PD which makes it convenient for international teachers. CA also has a lifetime CLEAR credential but it's a lot more effort to obtain.

Once you're certified in the US it's also trivially easy to apply and receive QTS (UK certification), which is also a lifetime credential with no PD requirements, it's just an online application.

3. Impossible to answer without knowing more about your situation. However, I think if your priority is really just to get the fastest/cheapest certification possible, Utah offers a quick option with their Lvl. 1 APT (Academic Pathway to Teaching) which is valid for 3 years. No field experience requirements, just submit some documents and take some tests: https://www.schools.utah.gov/curr/licensing/earning

Again, make sure to do your own due diligence. Good luck.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Honestly, this process seems more cumbersome that it seems. All 50 US states, British system, etc. have their own way of doing things. When you move to a new area, perhaps the teaching certification is worthwhile, perhaps it is useless.

At least with the CELTA, it'll be appreciated everywhere.

If you want a k12 teaching cert/license that delivers a top ROI and is accepted globally, you'll have to deal with "cumbersome." US teaching quals that are cheap, quick and easy to obtain exist along with unicorns dancing around a pot 'o gold at the end of the rainbow.

As for the CELTA, it's limited to TESOL and won't net you a well-paid slot with top international schools. Nor is it relevant to getting a state teaching qual.

and bj80 wrote:
I know online master's are not accepted in the Middle East. Where can we research immigration laws for these certifications? Would they even care if the certification, rather than the degree, was online?

Online k12 teaching licenses/certs are not accepted in the Gulf.

Frankly, having to research umpteen immigration and labor laws to see if your online credentials would pass muster is a cumbersome task.

There's a k12 teacher shortage in the US. Why not return stateside to complete an in-person teacher ed program and gain experience in a state public school system? That's what will net you that ROI abroad.
bj80

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NomadSoul.

I think you are right that going back to a decently priced certificate or grad school program, that also has ways to get work experience and pay off bills is a good idea.

I will look into that. I am from California, and they have some good programs at a decent price.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
I think you are right that going back to a decently priced certificate or grad school program, that also has ways to get work experience and pay off bills is a good idea.

You'd likely find fairly steady work as a substitute while completing a teacher ed program.

Another related thread: Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: