Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Grand for 9 hour work day?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: 20 Grand for 9 hour work day? Reply with quote

I have a job offer at a school in a larger city - they told me I will work around 25 classes a week. But the contract says I will work 33 hours and that lunch and breaks do not count as work hours...It is almost like a split shift schedule with the hours set at:

8am to noon and 230 pm to 5pm

this is rather bad as it means I have to get to bed by 10 or 11 pm if I want to have an easy hour to get ready for work and not be tired at 7am. I feel like emailing the school and asking for more money and if I may leave the school at noon and come back at 230pm or if I am required to sit in the school- which inevitably would mean talking to teachers and students - so basically an 8AM to 5PM teacher life... Also the contract is only 8 months long.

I am looking forward to helping the kids there but a 9 hour work day is an ugly thing to an ugly American

Oh I forgot to say there is a 5000 RMB flight payback and that they also offer a fully furnished apartment with it.
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to seem all negative...

I am looking forward to helping the kids there but a 9 hour work day is an ugly thing to an ugly American

Oh I forgot to say there is a 5000 RMB flight payback and that they also offer a fully furnished apartment with it.
The bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 25 hour contact hour contract is on the high end for sure. 33 is even worse. Even without qualifications and experience it's a bad offer in my opinion.

The 5,000 flight payback is low. Without seeing pictures/location of the apartment it's not possible to say if it's good or not, but be prepared for a shock.
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm It says 33 hours - it also says those are actual work hours and breaks between classes, lunch hours and others hours do not count. So it basically means they can appoint me to teach 4-6 classes a day I guess.

You say 25 work office hours is the norm? That sounds strange unless you are at a University which pays half as much. I could be wrong though. Where did you work in China that was 25 required hours in the school?

I got kind of discouraged when you said the apartment would be less than ideal. Anyway I sent them a very polite message asking if I could leave the school form 12 noon to 2:30 pm since they have me in the school from 8am-5pm every day... I much rather work 8am- 4pm and be required to stay in the school than to work 8am-noon and 230-5pm but be permitted to leave at noon and come back. I found job schedules that are like that the worse as you are stressed running errands or exercising checking you watch knowing you have to work in an hour or two...
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pass on it. If you’ve been a long time teacher, you can get a comparable salary with fewer hours...Maybe not 20k RMB, but 33 hours is not worth it. The fact that the contract says 25 hours, but the school is saying 33 is a red flag, too.

Is this a public school or a language mill (buxiban/hagwon...whatever you want to call it)? It might be late to apply for a public school unless you’re already in China and the contract started this month...but they usually don’t work you more than 18-20 hours a week.

Can’t say for language mills, but the 12-2 PM lunch break is standard in China.

And as has been mentioned, $5,000 is a low flight allowance...though they may try to justify it by your high salary.

Is the housing actually provided? Or is a subsidy included as part of your salary? 20k RMB with housing paid for doesn’t sound bad...but to work 33 hours a week does. I’d keep looking for something else.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikes me as a low salary for a big city and that much work plus mandatory time on campus.
The bear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
Mmmm It says 33 hours - it also says those are actual work hours and breaks between classes, lunch hours and others hours do not count. So it basically means they can appoint me to teach 4-6 classes a day I guess.

You say 25 work office hours is the norm? That sounds strange unless you are at a University which pays half as much. I could be wrong though. Where did you work in China that was 25 required hours in the school?

I got kind of discouraged when you said the apartment would be less than ideal. Anyway I sent them a very polite message asking if I could leave the school form 12 noon to 2:30 pm since they have me in the school from 8am-5pm every day... I much rather work 8am- 4pm and be required to stay in the school than to work 8am-noon and 230-5pm but be permitted to leave at noon and come back. I found job schedules that are like that the worse as you are stressed running errands or exercising checking you watch knowing you have to work in an hour or two...

I didn't say 25 hours is the norm. I said it's on the high end. I've seen a few job offers with 25 contact hours, they're rare though.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider this job. Way too many hours for me, especially with the split shift type situation.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are other matters, like resources supplied and their adequacy.
Osiry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds horrible. There are better jobs out there, keep looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: