Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Colombia right for me - if so which city?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deano2727

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Is Colombia right for me - if so which city? Reply with quote

I am 24 years old and I was born in Scotland, though I am now living in Ireland. I am considering moving to Colombia for 6/12 months in late 2018/early 2019. I'd like to experience living in the country and pick up some Spanish. I am currently doing a TEFL course. I don't have a degree, though I can probably get an associates degree by completing a few exams that I have to do. I currently have no experience in teaching, though after I complete my TEFL course, I plan on doing some volunteering in India if possible to gain some experience. I'll be going there in November for 4-5 months, so I'll have ample time to gain some experience.

I don't intend on going to Colombia to make money, rather just to help fund my stay (for however long that may be). I will probably go over with 4-5 thousand euros. I don't mind working full time or just doing private lessons in person or online. Basically, what I want to know is, would I get a job over there at a school or language institute with no degree? I may have an associate degree by time it comes around though. If so, which city would you recommend for me? Medellin, Cali and Barranquilla are the three that interest me the most (in that order).

If not, do you think it would be possible for me to make some cash by doing private lessons online or in person - or would I find it hard to find clients with my lack of qualifications and experience. I'd be more than willing to do lessons at $5 dollar an hour, just for some extra cash.

As an extra, what are some things one can do to become more employable in TEFL in Colombia. I plan on having intermediate Spanish upon arrival. I am also willing to do a CELTA course, perhaps in Colombia, if it would increase my chances of earning money.

Thanks, guys!
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, even if pay is not important to you, you should still have some kind of figure in mind as it impacts the overall scale for all foreigners, some who might be impacted. With those qualifications you would be getting an entry level job at a language center with difficult hours. The issue in Colombia is some foreigners are willing to work for very little, driving down the average salary for many teachers, which impacts everyone in the end. Even if it is not for you, demand at least a decent wage for the overall good of all teachers.

Colombia is currently in a recession which will further drive down costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: