Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving in china -What would you do if you were me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Saving in china -What would you do if you were me? Reply with quote

Hey gang. Im a 28 year old white Canadian. I have a BA in international development, a TESOL certificate, 1 year ESL exp in korea, 1 in colombia, 1 online, and will have my PGCE (primary) in july 2019.

I will also have a shit load of debt.

I understand that Dubia is known as the best paying, but frankly Im not interested in that lifestyle and culture.

where, what, and how would you go to China to save the most, in 1 year.
What do you think is a reasonable possible amount?

I understand that savings depends on my spending, I will be doing my best to live a modest life. Bonus points if you can suggest something in Shenzhen, maybe shanghai

Thanks! I really do appreciate the advice Smile
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks in advance!
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

How about an international school?

I also think you can earn quite a bit teaching in a kindergarten - but being with the young kids all day would quickly take its toll on me.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real international school is the best bet for you next year, but be careful cuz lots of schools love to call themselves "international" these days in China. You can tell the genuine one by the salary offers.

If you are a go-getter you could get a low-hour university gig that will give you free housing and do as much tutoring/side work as you can handle if you're in a city like Shenzhen or Shanghai. Just make sure your uni is IN the city and not hours away from it.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem I see is that your experience is pre-PGCE. That said, a few years in a Chinese school teaching western curriculum could get you into a real international school. I will mention though, the Chinese schools teaching such a curriculum are not all bad (salary, work environment, benefits), but some are horrible. Just be careful and do your homework.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I should have mentioned I dont do kinder garden lol. The older the better for me. But i do realize that an international school is probably the best option. The funny (not really funny) thing is as im doing my PGC im realizing im sooo tired of behaviour managment and babying. Im gonna grauate, but i think id be up for the University and privates option, especially if a international school ends up working me tons. Id rather be preping and working for people that want to learn.

My advice to anyone who wants to do their PGCE and is Canadian, do it with CanTEACH but checkout new Zealand. WALES is a FUCKING JOKE. all they care about is documentation, paper work, and bragginf about the progrees theyre (not ) making. anyways sorry bout my rant. Im done being negative lol

What is an average rate for privates in Shenzen?
Relevant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for an international school, and indeed did. I came from the UK to work at an international education school for Chinese kids.

Salaries I have seen range from 18000 RMB ( low for the sector) to 40000 RMB (lots of experience) a month. You can figure on living on ½ - 1/3 of that or less, and getting rid of debts quickly.

Shanghai is cool, and has more schools in and around it than other cities. Beijing has a lot, but don’t dig the pollution and the weather. Shenzhen is likely to keep getting more and more schools as it is super rich, and Guangzhou has some well established schools, though not all are near the centre of the city.

Get on search associates, or failing that, look on TES jobs, CIS, teach anywhere, teacher horizons and see what comes up.

Consider signing up for international schools review as well to check places out.

I really like my job, and the children are lovely. Hope you land somewhere good too.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant wrote:
I would go for an international school, and indeed did. I came from the UK to work at an international education school for Chinese kids.

Salaries I have seen range from 18000 RMB ( low for the sector) to 40000 RMB (lots of experience) a month. You can figure on living on ½ - 1/3 of that or less, and getting rid of debts quickly.

Shanghai is cool, and has more schools in and around it than other cities. Beijing has a lot, but don’t dig the pollution and the weather. Shenzhen is likely to keep getting more and more schools as it is super rich, and Guangzhou has some well established schools, though not all are near the centre of the city.

Get on search associates, or failing that, look on TES jobs, CIS, teach anywhere, teacher horizons and see what comes up.

Consider signing up for international schools review as well to check places out.

I really like my job, and the children are lovely. Hope you land somewhere good too.

thats good to here. Thanks for the reply. I wouls really love to teach some kids that want to learn for a change lol. Ill check out those places youve mentioned.

just to check all my options, anyone have experience with University in Shenzhen?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not so into high school consider high school age at an international school, or a good international department in a Chinese high school. The students there will be better than the adults you will find in Chinese unis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: