Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10-year visa for US citizens - how difficult?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: 10-year visa for US citizens - how difficult? Reply with quote

A colleague of mine wants to start teaching at my university. She is a renowned expert in her field, but the university can for now only offer her part-time in the spring semester. She is willing to do it, and there is a good chance that she gets a regular and well-paid full-time contract in fall at this school.
But it means that she has to cancel her convenient 10-years tourist visa, which she just recently got and which she would love to have again.

Does anybody know how good are her chances to get another 10-years tourist visa, especially regarding the latest tensions between US and China? what are factors that depend on obtaining such a visa?

For example: https://www.indystar.com/story/travel/news/2019/01/03/state-department-increased-caution-china-travel/2473648002/?from=singlemessage
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'part-time in the spring semester' sounds dodgy to me ; what kind of visa are they offering her ? maybe as a special high-level foreign expert? or some kind of business consultant?
Usually schools cannot offer part-time positions for the work visa.
If she lands the full time position in the autumn then she wouldn't need (or be able to get) the second 10 year tourist visa.

But who knows what rules will be in force later this year , if she wants to re-apply for the 10 year visa.
I guess these visas are highly discretionary and depend on mutual quotas and arbitrary circs (of the person applying and his/her home country ) so she could apply again and be given a 5 year visa or something else.

I understand how annoying it is to cancel a long term visa so soon. Perhaps she could negotiate some 'expert' status with the school for the next term without a change of visa?
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
'part-time in the spring semester' sounds dodgy to me ; what kind of visa are they offering her ? maybe as a special high-level foreign expert?

Perhaps she could negotiate some 'expert' status with the school for the next term without a change of visa?

She is worried that if she has a F-visa in spring, or a one-year Z-visa in autumn, after it she will only get a 60-days tourist visa again. Her daughter goes to an international school in China and she often visits Asia for workshop and book presentations. She is the author of a children's education book of international reputation, but I think that alone doesn't give her high-level foreign expert status.

It seems that in spring it would be just a normal F-visa 3-months (and one more month extension). So she could teach on a regular 180RMB per 45 minutes kind of thing, which the school offers.

what kind of expert status are you referring to? I guess there is no way to have a tourist visa and at the same time legally work for a school, even if it is just 5 hours a week as in her case.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with a daughter at school in China she could surely get another long term visa, maybe even family S type , in the future . She has a special reason to visit and stay here.

The visa letters and meanings changed some time back so I don't know what an F visa is, maybe that's a consulting type visa. But even that sounds dubious for being paid as a teacher.

But you're right the school probably couldn't offer her work on her existing tourist visa. Maybe she could just visit or volunteer , rather than getting paid work, and the school could provide accommodation , meals etc? (if she doesn't need the money). But even 'voluntary work' is I believe not allowed with an L visa).

What I had in mind was some kind of guest lecturer or international adviser where the school does not actually employ her, but issues the invite.

I don't whether all the paperwork is needed for an F visa as for the Z visa, but criminal clearance , degree authentification etc would possibly cost her more than she would make in three months here.

Sorry, this situation is rather complicated and dependent on unknowns like how long she will work in China , or whether she is using the three months as a tryout period .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: