Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10,000 SR - 12,000 SR! Low Pay in Saudi Arab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: 10,000 SR - 12,000 SR! Low Pay in Saudi Arab Reply with quote

"----We are currently hiring ESL teachers for [XXXXXXXXXXX] University in the [XXXXX] city for the second semester in the academic year 2018-2019.

Teachers will be expected to teach the English Language ( Speaking, Listening, and Writing ) to different levels of Adult students. Below is some Information :
Take-Home Salary Between 10,000 SR - 12,000 SR (Tax-free)
Medical insurance
Single status contract
Accommodation & Transport provided on top of the salary.
A paid annual vacation, along with round-trip tickets and end of year bonus
5 working days/week
Maximum of 25 -30 students per class
Diverse backgrounds of colleagues and students
A secured contract for a couple of years according to the clients and candidate mutual approval for renewing the contract.
Over 30 native teachers in each university
Comfortable work environment ---"

I just got this email. The pay is 2,600 $ - 3,100 Dollars! That is so funny. It is slightly better than a Korean job of 2.7 Million Korean Won (there is tax on a Korean Salary) but the low tier pay of 10,000 SR for anyone who is not in love with everything Islam and Saudi does not justify the mere 200 dollars more in that Arab Land of thy length shorts no sleeveless shirts.

I blocked out the city name and university for the titillation factor- and in case I ever have to go into a Saudi Embassy again. I copy and pasted some other ridiculously low paying email offer and got accused here of making it up. Anyway the last one and this one are the real deal. I might even do the Arab Land sojourn anon one last time to perfect my meditation on Heaven under a blazing sun and distracting speakers.
wood112

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sign of the times -- Can I ask if the offer was for BA or MA-holder? If the former, that range is about right in today's market, especially if there's the usual uni holidays/time off -- not absurdly low. But yes, the golden goose is dead. I recently left a well known uni in KSA and it was shocking how strapped for cash they were -- reducing of maintenance crews by 70%; non payment of research funds; massive delays in construction because of funding issues. point is, in my humble opinion, KSA is done. Even the last remaining golden ticket, Aramco, is under pressure as the gov't is making them take on problematic assets, e.g., SABIC.
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

112 that is pretty much the whole copy and paste of the add with the exception of the fellows name and the university name. So, I assume a Masters/PhD gets 3 grand and a Bachelor. of Science with 2-3 years teaching exp. gets 2,600.

I am tempted to do it but I dislike an uptight teaching environment and my last work in Arab lands was anything but relaxed.
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say considering the current price hikes in pretty much all areas of life, and what's to come, anything below SAR 18,000 (basic+benefits monetised) is just simply not worth it, unless you want to go for purposes other than saving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: