Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life after Saudi going back home?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslteacher2014

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Life after Saudi going back home? Reply with quote

Hi

I have been working in KSA for almost a decade now. I have been blessed to have saved good money, meet amazing people, and travel a bit.

But I do feel the need to go back to the west. However, i am afraid to go back because the cost of living is very high, difficulty in finding work, and after being away for so long i dont know how i will re-adjust.

Anyone care to share their experience?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going back to the US or UK, you might think you have entered the Twilight Zone.... Shocked

I might wait another 10 years.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslteacher2014 wrote:
I do feel the need to go back to the west. However, i am afraid to go back because the cost of living is very high, difficulty in finding work, and after being away for so long i dont know how i will re-adjust.

You’ll find the relevant thread, Dealing with reverse culture shock, an interesting read in regard to your major concerns about adjustment.

As I recall, you’re from the US. Mid-western and southern states tend to be less costly to live and work in than other areas of the country. Focus on those states that will fit your lifestyle and financial situation.

In terms of jobs, I completed a Master of Ed Tech when I returned to the US. I transitioned from teaching EFL abroad to working full time from home as an instructional designer for a financial services company. I came into the profession with a few years’ experience in curriculum design and development gained from my time in the Middle East. You don’t state what type of work you want to do, but instructional design is worth looking into if you’re not interested in being a k12 teacher yet still want to capitalize on your teaching/instruction background. See What does an instructional designer do?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many teachers I have met in Saudi over the years told me they never had a life back home...and they were told to get a life! That's why they ended up in the Magic Kingdom Shocked
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many other countries you can work in, teaching English.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you leave? I left because I could not find satisfying work at a salary I felt I deserved. I also felt that the culture was declining.

Today, I think the salary situation has not improved. There are jobs but not many good ones.

As for the culture declining, all I can say is that it has gotten much worse. I am glad I missed the last ten years in the United States. I am planning on missing the next ten, as well.

Have your reasons for leaving cleared up? (Obviously, mine haven't). If they have, go for it. If not, try Oman. It is definitely western friendly, much different from Saudi, and the slightly lower salary is more than made up for in higher quality of life.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several teachers I know who had worked with me in Saudi in the past are returning back to the Magic Kingdom now...but they say the costs of living there have gone up sharply...despite earning around SAR 13,000 a month plus benefits teaching ESL. Shocked
baa_baa

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg I thought I was the only one Shocked Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life after is great ... if you haven't blown your salary in Bahrain. I never knew investment could be so much fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: