Site Search:
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Teacher Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Anne Stevens

Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Posts: 49
Location: United states

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Teacher Certification Reply with quote


I know there have been a few posts on the subject; but, as far as i know, there have not been many relevant responses.
Could people share their experiences re: teaching abroad without any further education [say, BA or less] versus teaching with a Teacher Certification or specialized MA (or more)?
I leave it vague as to which country ... where the Teacher Certification would be granted in order to have as many answers as possible. You can send me an E-mail privately, too. And, please only serious posts will be considered. Thank you Very Happy

Anne Stevens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Posts: 1369
Location: Sagamihara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught in Morocco, Poland, Russia, and Japan.
The only places where I needed a M.A. was at the American Language Center in Morocco as an intern (actually I had almost finished), and at a private secondary school in Japan, where a M.A. is required in order to be a full time teacher.

Last edited by Brooks on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 12844
Location: Hokkaido, JAPAN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


In Japan, you need a bachelor's degree to get a work visa. Period. It doesn't matter what country you are from.

However, if you don't have a degree, and if you are from the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France, Germany or South Korea, you are eligible for a working holiday visa. This is limited to people 18-30 years old, and it has a 12-18 month time limit, depending on your nationality. WHVs permit part-time work.

Other ways to work legally in Japan include...
spouse visa, if you are married to a Japanese
dependent visa, if you are married to a non-Japanese with a FT job
student visa, if you are enrolled in a Japanese program (PT work only)

That said, universities in Japan require a minimum of a master's degree plus publications. Eikaiwas don't really care about your degree most of the time, so a work visa or WHV is ok. High schools, kindergartens, and elementary schools vary, but expect to need a bachelor's degree minimum.

In Japan, any teaching certification is a bonus, and in some cases it doesn't even make a difference in getting a job. It might tip the scales between you and a non-certified person, but it won't give you a larger salary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China