Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsaef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Russia Reply with quote

Hello, travelers and teachers. Allow me to take advantage of your expertise:

1) Do schools offer Russian language courses to their employees? If so, which ones?

2) Do schools offer tuition reimbursement for university study in Russia?

3) I prefer sleeping late to rising early. What are my chances of finding a job that accommodates this preference?

Thanks
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching English in Russia Reply with quote

dsaef wrote:
Hello, travelers and teachers. Allow me to take advantage of your expertise:

1) Do schools offer Russian language courses to their employees? If so, which ones?

2) Do schools offer tuition reimbursement for university study in Russia?

3) I prefer sleeping late to rising early. What are my chances of finding a job that accommodates this preference?

1. Yeah, I think most schools offer Russian at half-price to employees. Some schools have work-study programs where you teach English half-time and learn Russian intensively. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a very good deal to me though.

2. Ha! Actually my previous sentence isn't entirely true. I think some schools help pay if the course is related to TEFL and if you take it through their school (like the DELTA).

3. Не знаю. What do you consider early?

CS
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there is a strong tendency for full time jobs to feature early starts and late finishes.
This is not exclusive to Russia of course, and no generalizations have absolute validity.
If you're lucky and the person who does your timetable is kind, you might be able to avoid having both on the same day. In general, this year, I quite often had 9am starts and then 8:30pm finishes, with one session in the morning, and another 2 or 3 spread between lunchtime and evening.

The morning sessions can be business people or schoolkids; the school day seems to be staggered in some places, and some kids only start at say 11am which means they can have early morning sessions in the private school.

One of the worst things about this job, I think, is that you can often have these long drawn out days. Even worse (I didn't have it, but many do) is when you have to commute between different sites. Split shift, split site. Ouch.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, outside of Moscow, I don't find Russians to be the most early rising race on the planet. My current gig is a sort of (non-teaching) 9-5 thing but it starts at noon. My CELTA in Moscow started after noon. Students at the local university told me that teachers were chronically late for 9:00 am classes. So there's some hope at least, if you're a late starter.

In my experience the Russian language class thing has never panned out. I've always jus had to arrange private lessons. The school can recommend a teacher for you. Price isn't bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: