Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking EF info & Eperiences in Jakarta, want to hear it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidlotus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Seeking EF info & Eperiences in Jakarta, want to hear it Reply with quote

Hello,
I was offered a job in Jakarta with EF. This is my first teaching job and I would like to hear what others have experienced. I'm no stranger to Indo ( lived there previously for six months, I think it is one of most fantabulous places in the world!) but have never made it to Jakarta ... I always get stuck by the ocean and "plan to leave tomorrow " hee!
I would appreciate any info available or any interesting stories...and how hard is it to learn how to ride a motorbike?...I've ridden passanger plenty of times, but I would like to be able to drive myself to the rice paddies at night to look at the fireflies...or lack thereof... ( hee hee)

Thanks and be well!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

With regard to EF you'd be better searching this site for old posts as it's all been said before.

Concerning learning to ride a bike, Jakarta is BUSY! wait until late at night, then practice around your area when the streets are less crowded, you shouldn't venture out in the day until you've got your skills & confidence up as it is very dangerous. You should get an international licence from home (a car one will do), but it's not really necessary, and you won't need tax or insurance unless you're thinking of buying a big sports bike (over 250cc)

I think you may be quite some distance from the 'rice paddies' also.

Good luck, Be careful & Have fun Cool
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can make out there are at least two EF franchisees in Jakarta. Make sure you know which one is referred to in posts on this forum, as the two that I know of are quite different.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gugelhupf wrote:
As far as I can make out there are at least two EF franchisees in Jakarta.

Two? Try like 14 or 15!

I just spent a year working for an EF in Jakarta. The franchise I worked for was well-run and I enjoyed teaching there - but I didn't enjoy life in Jakarta at all. Filthy, polluted, crowded - ugh.

If you want more info you can PM me.
Winmar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered going somewhere other than Jakarta? You'd find work elsewhere, and there are much nicer places to be.
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: EF Reply with quote

I have experience working with 3 EF branches and know teachers from 2 others. Message me if you'd like more details. It can be either a good or bad experience largely dependent on the branch you work for. I think you'd be better of coming over here first rather than accepting a position from your home land.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: 8 Reply with quote

Where did the OP go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: