Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a Question about getting a Working Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encinitas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Have a Question about getting a Working Visa Reply with quote

I need know if I am going to have a problem getting a working Visa. I graduated from a Christian Bible College; Will the Chinese government look down on this?

Thank you for you help,

W.S.
anigbrowl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Christian Bible college Reply with quote

Well, you know that spreading relgion is not very welcome in China. My understanding is that the Chinese government regards organised religious or spiritual movements as a threat to their authority, thus the persecution of Falun Gong organisers and so on (in fairness, I must say that I think Falun Gong is a real scam that targets the superstititious and gullible).

If I were you, I'd play up the academic aspect and brush off the bible background as a traditional thing - just as many English or Scottish universities are named after saints but are essentially secular. If you're a very religious person yourself, this might seem morally questionable, like Peter denying Jesus in the gospel. You have to make up your own mind about this.

If you have missionary ambitions, you would probably be better off working through a Christian organisation that places teachers in China (there is one, but I forget the name), or possibly considering another country.
aotearoa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: A Christian ESL/EFL Organization For You Reply with quote

Hi Encinitas!

Hey, Im a Christian myself and was wondering if there were any other Christians on this board Smile. Also do you live in Encinitas California by any chance? I actually live in Del Mar California Smile.

Anyways if you're interested there is a Christian Organization called Educational Services International that places people to taech English all over the world. They give you Christian support with other Christians as well as a stipend (but no real salaray I think.). They're web address is http://www.esiadventure.org/

As for myself I'm looking at a paid position teaching 20 hours a week at a kindergarten, 4000 RMB monthly salary, free apartment/facilities with possibly free lunch and breakfast as well. The school will also let me work for other places/do private tutoring. I'm totally new to the ESL/EFL scene but I've been studying for two years to be an elementary school teacher in New Zealand (but im back in California now like I said above.). I plan on going back next year to NZ to finish studying and then start my career there Smile.

While I'm at it, I'd like to put this out here (hope it doesn't 'offend' anyone...): What is the situation like for Christians/churches/misisonaries/bible study etc. in China? I get the feeling one definitely SHOULD NOT go around prosletyzing/preaching; so of course I would just treat people in China (as anywhere else) with love and kindness and respect rather that recite bible verses to them.

Well good luck with your search Encinitas, let's pray for each other okay Smile.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this score, China has become a lot more open-minded, guys!
Of course, you are still expected to refrain from proselytising as the only church not just tolerated by actually being pushed here is that of the Marxists.
But, you can go to church in some towns (Guangzhou has several churches, some built in magnificent Gothic style by the French and British).
Official publications such as THAT'S GUANGZHOU (or BEIJING, SHANGHAI) list places of worship.
Note, however, that these places are OFF LIMITS (at least officially!) to local Chinese!

When I came to China, our Western cults were highly frowned upon, but we were genuinely being tolerated - so long as we celebrated Christmas in strictest privacy!
Now, we enjoy NO privacy anymore! Every Christmas now is a white-face-help-promote-local-school event! Big parties are being held! Salespeople wear Santa Claus outfits as do waiters and waitresses in bars and restaurants!
Don't bring more than ONE bible into China!
encinitas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

I have no desire to preach religion or spread the word of Christ. I am not even a Christian anymore; I found the whole religion too black and white. The name of the school my degree is from is Freedom Bible College and Seminary, and it states this on name degree. Additionally my degree is in Christian Journalism. My concern is that I may have Visa issues or Trouble obtaining employment because it may be assumed that I want to spread the word of Christ. Do you believe this is the case?

P.S. Yes, I do live in Encinitas. I grew up in Del Mar.
encinitas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore Help, would great.

Thanks guys
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of colleges won't care. This being said, there are many exceptions. One person at the Shane school started asking me if I went to church, how often, etc. I said goodbye. But I also realized that maybe this school had just been burned by someone professing Christ, but contrary to the bible, not having respect for the authority of the school, preaching instead of teaching. So a school like this might be sensitive to a "Bible college" diploma. Usually, mei you wenti (no problemas).
Most every city has groups of foreign teachers who are Christians who get together. Like Roger said, Chinese are not "allowed" to attend. To Aotearoa, ... Once you start getting to know some teachers from other schools in the area, you will probably meet some other Christians...like everyone else, good ones and bad ones.
I've had bible studies, singing times in my home, even my house that was on a campus, no problem..
I actually tell my students my Christian beliefs to some extent(especially the part about not being perfect until I die) I want them to understand my biases. I explain to them in class that America has many different views (and UK and OZ). I'm anti-abortion, many Americans are not, every foreign teacher will give you their own biases, etc.
The admin/leaders have been fine with this (to my face), even in the supposedly oppressive province of Henan. Of course, who knows the future.
I remember my first day in China when I arrived at the airport in beijing. I had two bibles, and I thought, will i get in trouble? I expected people with guns going through every paper I had, who knows. Life in China has often surprised me.
encinitas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for all of the posts.

Very Happy
MW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Christian or Missionary? Reply with quote

I know several people with divinity degrees teaching in both private and public schools in China. However, before you make your decision I suggest that you go to www.people'sdaily.com, click on Government White Papers and look for the paper on Religious Freedoms in China. Then you will fully understand why China does not really want Christians here.

If you work for a reputable school, they will take you to the National police office to obtain your "Foreigner Residence Permit." You will also be given a green book titled "The Law of the People's Republic of China on the Entry and Exit of Aliens and Rules Governing its Implementation."

You will be told that China will respect your religion but you should not share it with anyone else in China, should never criticise the National Government and never discuss the Taiwan issue.

The law article 5 and 12 allow for your deportation if you break any of these admonitions.

You may discuss religion with your students from a cultural or historical perspective, talk about Taiwan except as a separate country, and may discuss the Central Government but never give any personal opinion about it, good or bad. But you must be careful and walk a tightrope that may be misunderstood. Better to stay away from these issues altogether.

Still want to teach in China? Welcome aboard!
noyb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Roger said, at least in Guangzhou you'll have no problem.

I have even known open in-your-face missionaries teaching at government universities. It all depends on supply and demand.
MW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guangzhau is still a part of mainland China. Neither the immigration laws nor the religious freedom laws have been changed to favor Guangzhau or to give it an exemptiom. Guangzhaau may be implementing its local interpretation, possibly even with the tacit approval of Beijing, but when and if Beijing decides to put a stop to it, everyone in violation of the law will be adversely effected.

China is famous for allowing violations for the purpose of identifying people prone to violation and then clam down on the known violators. I can site many such circumstances over the past 24 years.

I believe it is safer to follow the national alws rather than rely upon a local interpretation. No one has ever escaped a prosecution using the excuse "but everyone was doing it." The local government has no authority to waive the national laws.

Just a word of caution for those who have ears to hear.
noyb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original issue was whether or not having graduated from a religious university would negatively influence the granting of a work visa.

Encinitas, don't worry about it. From an official standpoint there would be no problem. Whether or not someone from the entity you applied to work at would discriminate against you because they "thought" you would be a missionary is another issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: