Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rome- What to expect from a Freelance Contract? And Tax?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherrytree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Rome- What to expect from a Freelance Contract? And Tax? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering taking a job with a school in Rome, which pays 13-15 euros per hour on a freelance basis for around 25 hours a week. I'd be paid only for hours worked.
Is this about as good a deal as I'm going to get?

What conditions will a freelance contract usually stipulate?
What benefits should I expect from such a contract, if any?
Is freelance work subject to the same tax as fixed hours? (Which is around 30%, I read somewhere here?)

And would it be difficult combining regular private teaching with variable hours working for a school?

I'm aware from answers to my previous post that there won't be a great deal of work available in Rome in Jan so should I try and grab this job or hold out for a fixed contract? Or even an open-ended contract with at least minimum hours guaranteed per month?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cherrytree!

Quote:
I'm aware from answers to my previous post that there won't be a great deal of work available in Rome in Jan so should I try and grab this job or hold out for a fixed contract? Or even an open-ended contract with at least minimum hours guaranteed per month?

My advice would be to NOT hold out for a fixed contract - very few teachers have these, and those contracts available would probably go to teachers who already work for the schools concerned.

I doubt that any school is going to guarantee you a minimum number of hours, as this would mean they wouldn't be covered in times that they didn't have the work to give you.

Quote:
I'm considering taking a job with a school in Rome, which pays 13-15 euros per hour on a freelance basis for around 25 hours a week. I'd be paid only for hours worked.
Is this about as good a deal as I'm going to get?

It sounds pretty good - at least for the moment. If the 25 hours a week didn't materialise, you could at least start looking for extra work at other schools.

By the way, this 13 - 15 euros an hour should be net, not gross. (i.e. 13 in your pocket after tax and INPS are paid.)

Quote:
What conditions will a freelance contract usually stipulate?
What benefits should I expect from such a contract, if any?
Is freelance work subject to the same tax as fixed hours? (Which is around 30%, I read somewhere here?)

And would it be difficult combining regular private teaching with variable hours working for a school?

When you say "freelance contract", what do you mean exactly? Is it a "partita IVA" contract, where you apply for a "p IVA" number, that allows you sales tax exemption? Or is it a "contratto di progetto"?

The Partita IVA contract means that you invoice the school for IVA (an extra 20%) that you then pay to the state. You can then use your Partita IVA status to get sales tax taken off your tax bill for such items as computers etc. It's a little complex, but it works much the same way as having VAT status in the UK.

A contratto di progetto means that tax and pension contributions are paid on your behalf by the school. You probably won't be entitled to any other "rights", such as holiday / sick pay, or lunch vouchers.

Regarding tax, if you are resident in Italy for tax purposes, you pay 20%. If you are not resident, the tax rate is 30%. Given that you will be living and working in Italy, I'd imagine you will pay only 20%.

One thing to take into consideration is that you will probably be asked to show a work contract when you apply for a "permesso di soggiorno". (Your "right to stay" card, obtained from the questura.) If you can flash your permesso di soggiorno at the people paying your salary, they will probably realise you are kind of resident and only deduct 20%.

Try and make sure that you aren't signing a contract that forbids you from working at other places.

Many teachers combine private work with school work - a certain amount of juggling / flexibility is necessary, though!

I'm assuming in all this that you are an EU citizen, otherwise it is going to be difficult to get the paperwork done.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: