Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to meet people.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Looking to meet people. Reply with quote

Dear people,

I am currently working in HCMC, been here about a month now and feeling rather isolated at the moment. There are no other teachers at this school as it is very new and the guy who started it fought with the last two, a couple from Melbourne, Aus, who walked. At the moment I'm not surprised! By the way if you read this Yuko and husband I'd love to hear from you.

If anyone has any questions about Vietnam/HCMC I would be more than glad to try and answer them, the job forum on this place is rather out of date, most of the postings are a couple of years old. I intend to try and remedy that soon.

As you may have read in the forum this place definitely has its ups and downs and I've had both but so far mainly ups, except for the job, but this isn't about the job. What I would dearly love to do is make personal, not just email contact with some other people working in Saigon. I know your out there, so please make contact. It would be great to talk.

Liz Smile
jibbs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lizs,

I'll be in tomorrow. I don't know a soul, haven't got a job lined up or anything, just going to wing it. What part of town are you in? I think I'll try district 3 or 10 as per some advice i got. have to look at a map to know the place a bit.

Gimme a shout,

Joe (age 34, Canadian, regular stupid guy )

Very Happy
lizs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Great to hear from you Joe Reply with quote

Joe,
I work in District 1, the main guts of Saigon, in Nguyen Hue Blvd. There is bar/restaurant just down the road called Central cafe in the Sunwah building, in the same street. Big black building between two roads, you can't miss it. Will meet you there at noon tomorrow, I will sit at one of the tables outside, I'll wear a black shirt.

Could you confirm this today some time?? Is there anyone else out there who would like to join us?? The school I work for is looking for teachers, but I'm not sure I want to stay here myself, let alone recommend it to anyone!

Liz
ambernz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

We're going to be in a similar position in 8 weeks! So if there is anyone out there with children (we have a 4 year old boy) I'd love any tips about living in HCMC, and would also love to meet up with some people (with or without kids).
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Pham Ngu Lao? Reply with quote

Most people might say, "Don't go there!" but the Pham Ngu Lao area in district 1 is one of the easiest places to meet foreigners and other teachers.
Micro67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Activities Reply with quote

Try some things like the Hash House Harriers www.saigonh3.com or Rugby clubs and other things. Check www.livinginvietnam.com for more info when you can too and my web site too.
jojoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lizs,

What is the name of your English institute in HCM City?
I will be in HCM City on July 31 this year, and I like to meet you there. Is it ok with you?
jibbs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry liz,

Did not check again until just now. Arrived Fri. afternoon..... in area #1 as well with a million other foreigners. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to meet people...?

Still just trying to figure out where things are.
Nickyboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi peeps,

Just reading all those messages has made me somewhat nervous/excited at the prospect of turning up mid October.

Let us all know how the job hunt goes Jibbs, and Liz, what's your school called for future reference?!

Good luck everyone!

P.S, What's the weather like over there at the mo? Let me guess, hot and humid....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: