Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This might be a stupid question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: This might be a stupid question... Reply with quote

...I need a new computer. Does it matter what kind I get or will any kind be fine regardless of what country I end up in? I'm talking nice portable laptops/notebooks. Personally, I prefer a MAC over PCs but then there's the issue of software...everybody uses MSWord, etc.

Any thoughts? Embarassed Confused Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Why not " refurbished " Reply with quote

Dear Selyer,
Why buy a new one? You can get good deals on " refurbished " computers on-line. That's what I did, 6 years ago, when I came back to the Kingdom.
I bought an AST laptop on-line for $1,200 and it's never given me any trouble whatsoever. Here is one site:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?siteID=m.dLanqMmls-FpCBVy75i6n41FJEzQ_KAA&cid=17540&fp=f&PAGE=CATLIST&pro_sub_cat=270&pro_ssub_cat=999

and a " general listing ", with ratings:

http://www.newwaveinstruments.com/directory/stores/categories/surplus_refurbished_used_computers.htm?sid=vnd_se_none_cmp01-urcss

Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: But also Reply with quote

Dear Selyer,
But then, there's also the question of where you're going and how long you think you might stay. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have even bought the laptop in the States and carted it over here. I would have simply bought a PC here ( for about the same price, $1200 or even less here in the Kingdom ), used it for my time here and left it once I departed.
So, it depends - on where you're headed and how long your stay there will be.
Regards,
John
Selyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John...thanks for the reply. Refurbished would be a possibility. Right now I've got a 10 year old MAC that's pretty much only good for playing cards and balancing my checkbook. It'd be nice if I could do things like draft CVs and cover letters, download job applications, etc. and so on from the comfort of home (which I can't currently do) instead of staying late at work to pursue my future job possibiities. So I guess when I say "new" what I really mean is "up-to-date"! Smile

As for where I'll be and how long...that's up in the air. I'm looking into eastern Europe (maybe Poland) for the upcoming academic year. At this point, I'm thinking to spend some time teaching in Europe, maybe South America after that, eventually I'd like to spend some time in Turkey, Morocco, the middle East...the world is my oyster! Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: I'd go with a laptop Reply with quote

Greetings Selyer Cool

You've already received some good tips, so I'll throw in my 2 cents for ya as well.

For the past 5 years, I've been carrying a Dell laptop around with me, and I'm really happy with it. First, the power cables with all of these laptops today have built-in 110/220 power converters, which means connecting to your host country's power system is not a problem. You might need to plug on a different 'jack' to match the particular outlet of your host country, but these jacks are easy to find and cheap.

What I really like about having a laptop is this: You have the option of using it at work (if a connection or network-line is available there) as well as at home, on those lonely, rainy nights.

Plus, as you mentioned, you can keep yourself organized for job-hunting by having your CV, diploma, letters of reference, etc ... stored there.

Personally, I would recommend against the MAC platform, and stick with the IBM clones and MS Word. The last thing you need when you're abroad is compatability problems with the format of your resume', which will likely be an 'attached' file. In my experience, most school computers around the world can 'open' a Word document.

Also, VERY important: Whatever you decide to buy, MAKE SURE that your new computer has a built-in modem AND communication software, which allows your computer to 'dial up' an outside line. Surprisingly, these 2 items are not automatically included in every computer, and without them, you're in a boat with no oars.

Anyway, good luck ... and say 'hi' to your dancing dog for me, will ya? Laughing

Regards,
kENt
Selyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent--

Greetings from the "dancing dog"! Razz

Thanks for the tips. I've been looking at Dells--good to know someone has had a positive experience with them. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: