Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any jobs in Lithuania?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worlddiva

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Any jobs in Lithuania? Reply with quote

Hello!

Does anyone know of any job ops teaching enligh in Lithuania??

I've contacted various organizations and haven't had much luck.
I'm 30 years old with a B.A., but do not have any tesl/tefl certification or teaching experience.

I am Canadian/American with a Lithuanian background.

Also, Any ideas of what the pay would be??

any info would be great,
SilentK

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Any jobs in Lithuania? Reply with quote

Hi there..

From what I can gather, the official line is that they need you to have a CELTA or equivalent, but I'm not sure how strictly some schools adhere to this. I emailed my resume to a few schools and was offered 20 hours a week for June. (I have a CELTA but no official teaching experience beyond this).

I'm off in 2 weeks time to start my first official teaching job (and yes, I'm terrified!) Apparently my pay will be 22 litas (6$?) per academic hour (I'm told by a Lithuanian friend that this is quite a good level of pay).

Anyway, all the best and hope this helps..
worlddiva

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: about lithuania... Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys!

Quote:
Apparently my pay will be 22 litas (6$?) per academic hour (I'm told by a Lithuanian friend that this is quite a good level of pay).

Well 22 litai an hour is not as bad as I thought...that converts to 10.50$/hr Canadian.I'm wondering if they offer accomodations or if you have to pay for it yourself??What about food??Utilities??Flight??

PS SilentK: we Lithuanians are nice people, no need to be terrified!Smile The only thing I would be afraid of is drinking too much and eating too much!

I don't know how much luck I'll have as I don't have a tesl/celta...hmmm...

Hey Miss scarborough:

- thanks for the site...is it standard to have to pay for this info??
ibasiram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi World Diva,
How's it gonig? Still thinking about Lithuania? Well it seems that I'll be starting work there in september. I'm not that terrified about it, coming from Poland.
Usually accommodation would be paid for by the school, and it should be a single flat. he flat should be fully furnished, and the flight should be compensated throughout the contract, if the school is worth it, they should do all this.
Yea, i've been told that Lithuanians are great peolpe and I saw it when on holiday there. I'm just wondering, though, if they drink more in Lithuania or in Poland? Question
Ibasiram
ilugru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Any Jobs In Lithuania? Reply with quote

Hello, ibasiram! Do you mind answering some more questions about Baltic States for a newbie? Very Happy
I'm also interested in working there and I'm a non-native, Russian, to be exact. I'm doing CELTA this August and I've just taken CPE, but don't know the results yet. Provided I'm successful in both of them (God forgive me for this assumption Rolling Eyes ), I'll try to find job with IH or another international language school in Moscow to gain some experience and have it in my CV. I also intend to qualify as a teacher of Russian as a foreign language at Moscow State University. Then next year I hope to try my luck in Lithuania (preferably, 'cause my ancestors, though very distant, came from there) or any other Central European country. Josef asked basically the same question a few days ago, but I'm not as experienced as he is and much younger, 28, so maybe things for me are a little bit different. Do you think I stand the chance and what do you think of my plan in general?
Oh, and one more thing. What is accepted as "experience"? I have been working as a teacher of English for 6 years now in Russia at different state and private schools and institutes. Is this worth anything beyond Russian borders or only post-CELTA experience is recognised? And how do you normally prove your experience?
Thank you in advance,
ilugru
P.S. I would really appreciate a piece of advice from all experienced teachers here Smile
whhels22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've been working In Lithuania for the last nine months. Overall I will say that I have really enjoyed my time here, and I find the pay quite allright, enough to live on and maybe save a little bit (although I blew all my savings on the dentist here, but well worth it comparing how expensive it is to go to the dentist in America). Anyway I have worked in both Klaipeda and Kaunas, I just finished teaching in Kaunas and was making 25 litas an hour. Anyway form what I can tell there is one school in Klaipeda that hires native speakers, maybe three or four in Vilnius, and one to none in Kaunas (I got my job in Kaunas cause i had a visa). As posted earlier you will need a CELTA or TEFL certificate to teach here (although there is always an exception). Americans and canadians do have a disadvantage trying to work here now because of they EU, it is much easier for these schools to hire someone from the UK. But there are still opportunities here. there are aslo opportunities in the state school as well, although the pay is horrible. My advice is if you want to teach here COME HERE!! and see what you can work out. Since I have been here it has not been to difficult to find work. Also some schools here arrange accomodation many don't. Maybe this answered your questions maybe it didn't. Let me know if you have any questions.
worlddiva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: About I.H. in Lietuva Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Well this is my updated...I.H. finally got back to me...they said I absolutely needed a CELTA, but if I was ever in Lietuva and needed part-time work, they would hire me to teach english a/o french no problem.

I have 3 interviews lined up in August to go to Japan...hopefully I can get CELTA certified there.

Does anyone know of schools that hire without a certification??

Thanks in adavance,
WD
worlddiva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yea, i've been told that Lithuanians are great peolpe and I saw it when on holiday there. I'm just wondering, though, if they drink more in Lithuania or in Poland?

I forgot to mention...I think it must be Lithuanians...we can pound them back!!!LOL Very Happy
ibasiram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? Well, that's not what they told me in Poland....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: