Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British school Benghazi Libya Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endorphin Adventures

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: British school Benghazi Libya Info Reply with quote

I realize its a slim chance, but if anyone has any info on this school it would be greatly appreciated. Or any info on teaching English medium primary school or EFL in Libya in general.
Thanx
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libya is opening up.... i know that much.

sorry
khmer
Albulbul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have colleagues who taught in Benghazi and Tripoli in the 1980's. The shops are empty but that may change if sanctions are lifted.

Exchange control makes it difficult to get your money out.

Nice climate in winter.
elfriede

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: British school Benghazi Libya Info Reply with quote

[I visited the British School Benghazi and met with the headmistress who has just left. I spent 3 weeks in Benghazi and loved every minute. If you can cope with the phone cutting, limited Internet access (though there are Internet cafes) very friendly people and HOT weather you'll love it! The school is attended by mainly Libyan children but all teaching is in English. The facilities are a bit limited but I will put my children in school there. Everybody locally considers it to be an excellent but expensive school. If you can't cope with an Islamic lifestyle however, I would forget going there. Libyan people were kind, warm and very welcoming. I can't wait to go back. They have just set up a website so bear with them, www.bsb-ben.com
WIll you be teaching there?
Endorphin Adventures

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: BSB Reply with quote

Yes, I will be teaching there! I was hired by Marilyn a few months ago. I will teaching grade 2. What grades are your children in? What will you be doing in Libya?
Could you elaborate on the phone cutting? DAys at a time or a few minutes here and there?
I am a morning person and I don't drink, so I don't expect any difficulties in adapting to the culture.
Thanks for the info....any other recommendations would be appreciated
elfriede

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: british school benghazi Reply with quote

Hi. Just to say that the phone system is NOT as well established as other countries and phone cutting can often happen (no particular day or time though EID is usually the worst when everyone wants to make a call to/from Libya)

There isn't really much to do in the way of entertainment. THere is no foreign cinema/theatre or anything like that. There is local Arabic theatre. Social life for me and most local women consists of visiting other women/families, drinking lots of tea and coffee and eating lots of cake!! I warn you! However, if you are a man you will probably find it is a different world. No free mixing of the sexes with locals at all. I don't know what the other teachers do there but I think they have their own social network and arrange dinners/theatre in the school etc.
Hope to meet you there.
Best wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: