Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spontaneous Learning Centre - Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheridan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Spontaneous Learning Centre - Taiwan Reply with quote

Does anybody out there know anything about this school?

They responded very quickly to an ad I posted and have interviewed me by phone.

They sounded very positive about my application and interview and I would like some independent advice before I accept / decline an offer.

I look forward to advice from all you Taiwan vets.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Suspicious Reply with quote

I interviewed with them but walked out. They basically didn't ask me any questions, just shoved a contract at me to sign. All the work is on-call, and they'll want you on-call 24-7. The contract has a place for you to fill in your schedule and they'll tell you to leave it blank: "Oh, we do that for you." The pay wasn't anything to get worked up over either--about 500NT/hour I think. There were some other loopholes in the contract I can't remeber. AND, they had about 3 other newly-arrived foreigners in the office filling out applications too. I just got a bad vibe, so I said thanks and left.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Working Outside of Taipei Reply with quote

Be advised that the labor situation outside of Taipei is very different from the capital. Taipei is considered by some to be almost a civilized place to live. They even enforce some of the laws here.
The rest of the Taiwan is, for the most part, a lawless island. In Taipei you may have some rights and job security. Central Taiwan on the other hand, is not for the uninitiated.
sheridan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to WorkingVaca and Aristotle for your advice. I will take care before signing any contract.

Aristotle - Do you know the location of the Spontaneous Learning Centre?

I have checked my emails and realize that none of them state the location of this school.

Mr Kwok, my interviewer, did state that it was a school not one of a chain and, if my memory serves me well, he mentioned Taipei.

If you know anything to the contary or can confirm the location, please reply.

Thanks again.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Names Change Reply with quote

Many Schools will change the English Name of the school after getting a bad reputation for themselves. If you can get the address, I can run it through our data base for a match. Or the Chinese name, as that is much more difficult to change.
A.
sheridan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aristotle

I have sent an email asking for the address of the school and await their reply.

I only have an email address - [email protected].

Is this any use?
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again to Aristotle and Workingvaca for your help. I have decided not to accept the position with the Spontaneous Learning Centre and I have accepted a position in Gifu, Japan. I may yet get to Taiwan as I expect to be teaching EFL for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: