Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally Coming "Home"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Finally Coming "Home" Reply with quote

My Dear Friends:

It has been a wonderful three years back in America, but my time in the University of South Dakota's English-PhD program is just about done, thanks be to God!

I hope you don't mind me "venting" here, but maybe some of you might be able to relate --and also give me some good "homecoming" advice, as I plan on returning to Taiwan immediately after my last class.

Okay, so first off: I think Taiwan did something to me. Seriously! For example, my American friends and students always tease me because they say I BOW TOO MUCH. And they cannot figure out why I hand and accept things with TWO HANDS instead of one, or why I always take off my shoes before coming into their houses. Worse still is when I showed the movie, EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN to my "Introduction to Literature" class. That movie made me so homesick that I actually had tears streaming down my face and had to leave the room and make up some excuse about allergies!

And while we're on the subject of health, I am so anxious to return that I am actually looking forward to doing battle with SARS! What has Taiwan done to me?

Okay, I know you guys are busy, so I will cut this transmittal short and get to the questions. (1) Has anyone else ever gone through this, or am I just a lone ESL crackpot whistling in the dark? (2) Now that I am joining the wonderful realm of ABD PHDs and returning home, how do my job prospects look? Got any good leads? Although I prefer to teach at universities, I really *DO* love teaching junior and senior high school kids. Well, thanks a zillion. Write back soon.

Respectfully,

Chieftain

PS: Has anyone noticed the night sky lately or is it too smoggy in Taiwan these days? The planet Jupiter is right next to the moon --so lovely. My people call this month "Moon of the Carrying Crows."
Okami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Zanadu?? Reply with quote

I don't know. I think you're kind of strange, but most long termers who stay here are. Venting is perfectly acceptable and good for you. I still don't undertsand why you bow though.

Taiwan is Taiwan. I've gotten use to it and have developed coping strategies and counter-manipulation strategies. I'm too disgusted by local habits and attitudes to actually blend in well. I speak enough of the language to get by and can read enough to accomplish most tasks(Wenlin software, is great). I've gotten use to being sick for months at a time and not having good medical care(as in the doctor doesn't guess and prescribe me at least 5 drugs). SARS is pretty much a non-event so far. I say give it another 2-6 months.

When I did go back to the US(St. Louis) for a visit after living in Taiwan for 2 years. I couldn't wait to get back to Taiwan. I would of stayed in Phoenix though. You'll be able to have the pick of jobs with a PhD. Colleges and Universities are trying to upgrade so they are hiring anyone with a PhD. As it helps them when the MOE decides how good they are. Are you an ABC? You'll get use to it and miss all the things you left in the US.

Okami
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: