Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campbell College in Valencia?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucyM

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Campbell College in Valencia? Reply with quote

I am a recent graduate and planning to complete a CELTA course in September in Valencia. Has anyone heard of Campbell College in Valencia? The price of the course is 1200 Euros, does anyone think this is a bit expensive? Any advice greatly appreciated!!
Eric Paice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of Campbell.

The price looks OK. It's a bit high, but then again you're paying for the CELTA brand name.

The chances of you getting work in Valencia are very small so you'll probably have to get jobs in Madrid (loads) or Barcelona (better then Valencia but much worse than Madrid).

I doubt that your CELTA course will give you any help finding work so you'll have to find your own way of getting a job.

I trained in Madrid with a quality non-CELTA school that really helped me get work. If you have your heart set on a CELTA they wouldn't be for you though.
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valencia too small? Hmmm... well, a colleague of mine worked in Valencia and loved it, and wanted me to say that Campbell College is the main college in Valencia and does a good CELTA (although the manager is a bit odd). Furthermore, they send the CVs of the best students on the course to the best schools in Valencia (of which there are many). She says that you should go there, as you'll have a fantastic time and make loads of friends (speaking from experience), and that you should try for the English Centre, in General Urrutia, which is one of the best schools there.

Personally, I think that 1200 Euros is a bit steep for a CELTA (but unlike many of the people who've posted on here having had extremely satisfactory non-CELTA teaching courses, I would go for one that is internationally recognised and required), but you'll make contacts in the area, and probably have a wail of a time during the course, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.
LucyM

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure about Campbell College but I've been to Valencia a few times and really like the city so I decided that I'd do a course there. The school have said that they would do all they could to help me find a job after completing the course, so fingers crossed!! As for the price, I've been looking in to other CELTA courses in different areas and the price is around the same so I'm sure it will be worth every cent!
anthyp

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wherever you end up going, you can't go wrong with a CELTA. If I could do mine over again, I'd definitely get one ... it's obviously the most trusted name in the business and might open a few doors for you that would otherwise be closed if you have a different kind of certification. Not that finding jobs with something else will be difficult, it really doesn't matter, but some schools do prefer CELTAs and having one might give you a leg up on an applicant who doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IanN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the course in Valencia and it was great fun. The only problem with doing it in September was that it didn't finish until the beginning of October. Most schools here recruit in September so you will have to find time to get your CV out aswell or it might be difficult finding a job.

When I did the course last year it cost 1100� so it has increased but I think it is still cheaper than doing it in England.

I am still living in Valencia so if you have any other questions or want a tour guide when you arrive let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: