Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Vladivostok?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jo_G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Vladivostok? Reply with quote

Hello,
I contacted English First months ago about teaching in Vladivostok, but heard nothing from the folks in Vladivostok (they never answered my emails). The people at the London branch said they were not hiring for Vladivostok at that time (March 2004). Anyone have any ideas or information? I have read through the past messages on here, and emailed FEELTA as well as American Corners in Russia.
I am doing the TEFL course in St. Petersburg from Aug 16-Sept 10, in connection with Via Lingua/Benedict International. So I would be ready to work in mid-September but would prefer Vladivostok because I already know several people there and have never visited that region. I have a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts, a Master's in History, and can speak Russian (just recently completed a postgraduate diploma in Russian, as well as several years at school and university in Russian).
Please let me know if you have any information or advice!

-- Jo_G
bobs12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the way fae bonny Scotland tae Vlady-whitdaeyecallit?

Wait till you get here and ask around. You're bound to find people with connections in Vv, or your friends who are already there could ask about possible teaching opportunities. St. P is an easy place to find work at that time of year- the Ben school will give you work, but be careful if you've organised your visa through them as they will use it to bullly you into working for slave wages (probably)

I advise just come to St. P, get your ear to the ground as soon as you land and start earning money straight away. Teaching isn't rocket science and believe me, the Ben School TEFL certificate is hardly worth the paper it's written on (I know the trainer there) especially as a lot of places won't be bothered about your qualifications since they'll be desperate for native speakers. Can give you a list of schools in the town in return for *lots* of beer when you arrive.

If you have a postgrad in Russian you probably have more idea about how languages are taught than the chap in the Ben School. If your Russian is good you'll be able to find much better work than teaching English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: