Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NHL Players Need Your Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capergirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: NHL Players Need Your Help Reply with quote

We Need your help ...

Since September 11, 2001, Americans and Canadians have come together as never before in our generation. We have banded together to overcome tremendous adversity. We have weathered direct attacks on our own soil, wars overseas, corporate/government scandal, layoffs, unemployment, stock price plunges, droughts, fires, mad cow, SARS, high gasoline prices, and a myriad of economic and physical disasters both great and small. But now, we must come together once again to overcome our greatest challenge yet.

Hundreds of Professional Hockey players in our very own nation are going to be locked out, living at well below the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV) you can help an NHL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a hockey player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a hockey player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed photo, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your NHL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a locked out NHL player. My preference is (check below):

[ ] Forward [ ] Defenseman [ ] Goaltender [ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a specific team - $10 per minute)
[ ] Jaromir Jagr (Higher cost: $32,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the duration of the lockout. Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored, along with an Jaromir Jagr 2001 Income Statement and my very own Bob Goodenow (Executive Director of the NHLPA player's Union) pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).

Your Name: ___________Telephone Number: ___________

Account Number: _______Exp.Date:_______

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other

Signature: _______________________

Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit limit):

Account Number: _______________________ Exp.Date:_______

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other

Signature: _______________________
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they're out 2 years and some price sanity is forced into the game. Miss the games? Nah, not when I'm out there playing it. ANd university hockey is simply a bargain for a superb product.
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only $700/day? Count me in.

Go play in Europe for awhile is all I have to say. I miss the whole hockey season being in Japan anyways.
Tricky Woo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That was killer!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! You've done it now, Capergirl. You've made me ... spit my coffee (laughing).

Colleen
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of gives you the idea of how ridiculous things are.

Hard to feel sorry for them.
Louis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booo... Hockey is expensive, but it's HOCKEY! Also, there are no university teams/ohl teams anywhere near where I live (used to live) and the games aren't televised. Beer league hockey is fun, and something I do every winter, but it's just not the same as following the good old HABS, eh? Here's hoping for a season this winter (only on internet radio, unfortunately.)
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the lockout is on. That is until January, if memory serves (1994?). Wink

Shaman
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman wrote:
It appears that the lockout is on. That is until January, if memory serves (1994?). Wink

Shaman

Some new development that I've missed?
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a short snippet that talks broke down this afternoon. In actuality, nothing new really.

Shaman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: