Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Help help! Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I�m reconsidering my plans about how to go about finishing an M.A. TESOL. Right now I�m thinking about getting some more teaching experience before going back to graduate school. (I think the experience would only help me to do better in grad school, and I�ve been having a hard time finding work up here anyway to save money for grad school. (I know I wouldn't make a lot in Mexico, but hopefully I could save a little, and at least get a better idea what TEFL is like and a better idea about if I really want to pursue it further). I�d also like to start learning Spanish, as I know I�ll need to know it to get the better teaching jobs down there after I do get an M.A. TESOL, and I know I won't learn Spanish unless I take a class or just go to where it's spoken). I don�t want to pay to get a TEFL Certificate right now though -- Getting a TEFL Certificate is part of acquiring an M.A. anyway, and I don�t want to have to pay for it twice! -- so I�m looking to teach at a place that would be willing to train me. Could any of you provide me with an e-mail address or e-mail addresses for Harmon Hall or another place or other places in Mexico -- as long as it�s not or they aren't horrible -- where I could teach without a TEFL Certificate? And when I say that I don't want to work someplace "horrible," that means that I don't want to work someplace that has a director freshly spawned from the devil. What I'm saying is, I don't want to have a bad experience with my employer or co-workers or with Mexico in general and go home really bitter because of it. Catch my drift? Alright, thank you.

Last edited by nighthawk on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Masters Reply with quote

Dont assume that you have to pick up the full tab on tuition for a Masters. Undergrad students are a University's bread-and-butter, so scholarships there are rare. Grad students are a different story. They are the ones the U banks on prestige -wise (and cheap teaching-assistant labor).

I understand your desire to have some teaching experience under your belt before doing your masters. I wish I had more before I started mine (Im finishing my masters in TESOL now). Go to Mexico if you want to go to Mexico, but dont go there to earn money for grad school. You can get into a program and either be a teaching assistant to pay your bills (thats what I did and I am graduating with no debt and I supported a son to boot) and/or teach on the side to boost your experience and contacts. Go to the Peterson's guide to grad schools and see what is out there and what they offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: