Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two year degree-can he teach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poppysprite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: two year degree-can he teach? Reply with quote

I have a bachelors degree in English, so I will have no problem finding work in Taipei. My boyfriend is the serious one for teaching in Taipei, because we have a really good friend who moved back home from America. But my boyfriend just completed his two year degree in graphic design and we want to live in Asia and learn Mandarin. Should he just stick it out here for another two years to complete the degree? Or do you think he might get a decent job as a teacher with just his Associates degree?

Any comments or suggestions? Another concern is, I know the Taiwanese aren't as conservative as the Koreans, but should we be married before going there or does that just pose a problem for couples? I'm fine with not marrying him right away, but if it doesn't make us look bad as teachers, I'll do what's best in Asia to be marketable. I read, write, and speak some Korean and studied some Japanese. I'm an American and I can't wait to leave Georgia, since I have traveled to Asia and can't wait to go back.
pistonear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: not an expert but... Reply with quote

I think he can find work but he will be working illegally. Taiwan requires a bachelors degree. He can also apply to a language school or take classes in Taiwan. Just get a wedding ring and tell everyone that your married. Sorry, but that is all I know. Have fun!
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: two year degree-can he teach? Reply with quote

poppysprite wrote:
Another concern is, I know the Taiwanese aren't as conservative as the Koreans, but should we be married before going there or does that just pose a problem for couples? I'm fine with not marrying him right away, but if it doesn't make us look bad as teachers, I'll do what's best in Asia to be marketable.

While it is not common for couples to live together before they are married in Taiwan an unmarried foreign couple living together won't raise any eyebrows. The biggest problem you will face is people constantly asking you "when are you going to get married?" or "why aren't you married yet?".
poppysprite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've decided that we don't want to wait another two and a half years. We're going to try to just go there and see how we fare. Hopefully, Allen will be able to find some work. Hopefully, I won't find a too hard a time finding a school who will take me though, since I'm half Asian. I'm not half Chinese, but I've been asked if I am Mexican, Fillipino, Persian, you know Rolling Eyes
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on over.
I have a Bachelor's, but work with people who don't have degrees. One girl I work with doesn't have any college to speak of.
You'll probably want to go the legal route, because there's more security that way. (In other words, get your ARC.) Going the illegal route is expensive, and most people I have met doing this haven't been able to save money in Taiwan. (Although they are able to work and get the experience.)
You'll both need a 2-month entry visa, since most employers don't process your visa until you are already in Taiwan. Go to the TECO office in Atlanta to do this. Tell them you want to go to Taiwan and learn Mandarin. Get your 2 month visas. When you get to Taiwan, your boyfriend will need to sign up for Mandarin classes. This way, he will be able to extend his visa twice, without leaving the country, for a total of 6 months. At the 6 month mark, he will need to have money to make a visa run to Hong Kong. As I said, you will probably want an ARC in order to make your life easier, open a bank account to wire money home, etc.
Don't worry about not being married. They don't care a bit in Korea OR Taiwan, Japan I'm not sure. But generally it's not an issue.
-Chi-Chi
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I completed my BA, I had an associates degree (a two year degree). I contemplated teaching in Asia with my two year credential and checked into it at the time. This may have changed, but I was told Taiwan would issue work permits to teachers with a a two year post secondary diploma and some form of tesl certificate. Does anyone know if this is still the case (or if it ever was)?
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link may (or may not) answer your question.

http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=8566
angelina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two year degree (Associates) plus TESOL/TEFL from accredited school will suffice. I think there's uncertainty on this because a lot of canadian post secondary institutions only recently started offering Assocaiate Degrees so they could compare/compete with the States. A two year diploma won't work.
pistonear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching Taiwan Reply with quote

Angelina,
Could you please tell me where you heard you could teach in Taiwan without a four year degree. If you have a link I would love to see this. I am by no means an expert but I was always told that you must have a Bachelors in any subject. Please post a link. Thanks Pistonear.
angelina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pistonear,
I am also by no means an expert and hear that you can only work with a four year degree. However, I know of someone who got their ARC and permit with an associates degree plus TESOL certification. Also, I have seen at least two job applications that accept Associates plus TESOL (Hess for sure and I forget the other one). I've encountered mixed messages on different sites I've read (most to the point of requiring a four year degree) but I'm guessing that it might be flexible depending on the school and its relationship with the MOE. I don't know how to do a "link" but I'll try and find some of the stuff I've read and get the web address to post here. Might take a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: