Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens when we get old?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: What happens when we get old? Reply with quote

for those ESL careerists out there, im curious to know what happens when you (we) get old? assuming that english maintains its status as the lingua franca (this is a debate for another thread, so let refrain from commenting on this for the time being), what happens to those of us who have choosen to do this for a career? how long do ESL teacher go on teaching? and what about money to retire on? im speaking from a genuinely concerned position on this one (and naive, too), so i'd like to hear from those of you who struggle with the same questions, and especially those who have found answers. thanks much.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Making Plans Reply with quote

Ideally,you should be able to work as long as you can do the job and health permits.Realistically,though,as you grow older,you will probably find yourself restricted to certain jobs in TESOL.I am not saying this is right...I am saying that is what often happens.And since most jobs in this business are on one year contracts,you do not have a guarantee from year to year that you will have a job.

Of course,if you do elect to make TESOL a career you should obviously do some retirement planning.Although you do not have to make Social Security contributions while working overseas,you can contribute so you will have something at retirement.But do not depend on that alone.You should be making other investments.

Of course making investments necessitates earning enough money to be able to make investments....so while it might be nice to teach in eastern Europe and a few other places while you are younger...you are not going to make enough to invest while teaching there....for investment monies...this business is pretty much limited to teaching in the MIddle East and some of the Asian countries....and maybe a few others in the world.

It is also good to have at least one non-TESOL option in mind...do not put all of your eggs in one basket. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: oldies Reply with quote

The first priority is to have a place to live. Then you need some savings and some kind of post-retirement income. Those of us with a UK work history can build on the basic NI State Retirement Pension. I don't know about equivalents in other countries. My (reduced) State Retirmenet pension would be pretty low as an income in the UK but fine where I live - in Eastern Europe.
Robert Russell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Too Late For Me Reply with quote

I am 49, will get about 200.oo a month from SSN. I worked as a volunteer in Hong Kong for many years. I have 5000.00 in an IRA. My retirement plan needs to involved marrying a rich woman or an early heart attack (joking).
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: A Simple Plan Reply with quote

Dear Robert,
Perhaps a better plan would be to marry a rich ( old ) woman and then for HER to have the heart attack. Being of the grasshopper ( rather than the ant ) tribe myself, I look to the Good Book for words of comfort:

" Jesus said, "I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you-- you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, `What will we eat?' or `What will we drink?' or `What will we wear?' For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

And I hope it also applies to agnostics.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: good news from Johannes Reply with quote

The man from Bible School in Riyadh hit the nail on the head. Nothing like an apposite quote from Scripture. He is right too !
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: what to do when you retire Reply with quote

I watched this one with more than the usual interest,mainly because this has become my chosen profession and I have no doubt that Turkey is where I will retire and at some time in the hopefully distant future my tired old bones will be laid to rest here . In the meantime it is my intention to make sure that in about 10- 15 years I can retire here in relative comfort and safe in the knowledge that I would be better off here than if I had stayed in the U.K .
At the moment I have one property all bought and paid for, foreigners are unable to get a mortage or even a loan here without heavy interest charges so saving is important,selling my property back home helped a lot the cost of houses or apartments here is about a quarter of those in ay part of mainland Britain .Its worth mentioning that the U.K pension is payable over here and working over here entitles you to the Turkish scheme after so many years (20 I think) so with a house to live in maybe two or more to rent and money in the bank plus a pension (reduced) from U.K and a local one to top it up plus an extra savings / anuity plan I think thats not a bad place to be ,smug or what???
reality

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Private Pension Schemes Reply with quote

I come from the UK, and I am not entitled to a State Pension, because I never paid into the system. The UK is so poor now, State Pensions aren�t enough for people to live on today. I reckon, they will probably not exist,
once the UK becomes the 51st State in the near future.

So, invest in a private, offshore pension scheme. They are obtainable via the net, or in most Countries in the World. That way you are not restricted to the Country you can recieve the full pension (Unlike the UK State Pension scheme).

If, its too late to get into a private pension scheme, try buying a lottery ticket.
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Retirement plans Reply with quote

Hi reality
You are not the first person I've heard of in a similar situation so private schemes are your only choice would you reccomend a local scheme in your prefered country of residence,the tone of your response suggests goıing back to the U.K to retire is not an option,therefore which country have set your sights on I think thats an important decision to make sooner rather than later and which ones have the living standards you are hoping for ?
Regards
Richard A
reality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Countries Reply with quote

I am not sure about where I want to retire, right now. I still have a good few years, and places change quickly. At the moment, New Zealand sounds like a good place, if you have some money. Properties are inexpensive, compared to Europe, and living costs are less than Europe.

Theres also plenty of teaching work, and its close to East Asia, where there will be always work.

I have met a lot of people who have become PT�s. Owning a property in one Country, renting it out, and working/travelling. Its often cheaper to do this, then to stay in their own Country.

Some people I have met, live in three different Countries. Travelling between them each year. If you have the money, and lust for life, why not.

Who says you have to stay at home, tend the garden or play golf. It must be more interesting roaming the World.

Arrow Arrow
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: The Good Book Reply with quote

Dear reality,
I've always liked what St. Augustine wrote:

" Life is a book; whoever does not travel reads only one page ".

Regards,
John
lagger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: All eggs in one basket Reply with quote

An early heart attack LOL! That sounds like a plan.

This isn't a reponse for the original poster but I agree with the poster who said not to put all your eggs in one basket.

I have been teaching for two years but next year, I've decided to do something else. Then I'll go back to teaching and alternate between the two careers in the future. That way, if either industry collapses, I'll still be able to make a living.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a citizen from NZ, working overseas for a long time, you better look up the WINZ website in regards to having to stay in NZ for a certain period- related to your age- in order to recieve government superannuation.

If I had left NZ before the age of 55,I would be in trouble.
I left when I was 58, so in a few years I will retire with the help of NZ, augmented by my Chinese savings
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the WINZ site, to be sure.
In order to qualify:
1 Live in NZ for 10 years since turning 20
2 Five of these years have to be since you turned 50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: