Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can Vietnam pay ESL teachers so much?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricCC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: How can Vietnam pay ESL teachers so much? Reply with quote

Hi pople,

I am interested in moving to Saigon sometime in the next 2-3 years to teach English. I have visited Saigon over Christmas break and liked what I saw. I have also traveled throughout Thailand and have visted Japan and Hong Kong. However, I am preplexed as to how a developing nation with such a low cost of living can afford to pay its teachers so much? And, given the relatively high pay, how come every ESL-teacher-to-be does not come out of the woodwork to take a job in HCMC? So, my real question is what keeps wages to high and can we expect those wages to remain stable in the near and distant future.

Thank�s for any comments you have.

P.S. I would be interested in making any contacts with people already living and working in the area.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Best Kept Secret in Asia Reply with quote

Vietnam is definitely the best kept secret in Asia. The money and lifestyle are good. It is definitely not everyones cup of tea, but generally it is the best game in town.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been interested in Vietnam for many years and have had many of the same thoughts. How can the schools afford to pay so much? Are the classes so large that you can't move or do they pay a small fortune for our services?

For those who are there now, can you give a rough estimate of what you can save in a month?
Cyan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are earning the lowest possible - about $12/hour you should be able to save about $500 a month. This obviously depends on your budget i.e are you thrifty or a spender?

I have not yet been here a full month but those in the know seem to say that this is about right.

Cyan
jibbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places pay even less than $12 for someone without qualifications or experience. I wonder what the average pay is for, say, someone with just any B.A. and nothing else. I'd expect the CELTA holders should get 1 or 2 dollars more per hour than the B.A. only. I think $12 is fair as a starting wage at a regular language school. If you show them you can do a good job, expect a pay raise in a month or two, and another after 6 months or more. Actually $14 is a good starting pay, I believe, but I may have low expectations?
jride000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyan.
I am considering moving to Vietnam this coming May. I will have a college degree and that is all. Would you say the chance of me finding a job relatively quickly(1-2 weeks) at 12$ is pretty high?? Thanks.
Cyan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jride000

I believe you will have a moderate to good chance. If you get the TEFL / CELTA you will have an even better chance. Schools here really consider a degree plus the TEFL/CELTA as a good starting point.

Good Luck - hope things work out

Peace
Ryan
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: saigon boredom Reply with quote

Last edited by sigmoid on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would a person with a masters in applied linguistics, CELTA and 12 years of teaching experience expect to make?
ghostdog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good schools with good positions that pay well are few and few between. There are any number of places with jobs at $12 an hour, as noted any number of times, but conditions are usually awful and most of them would only pay lip service to education and experience and then hire some newbie or backpacker who will do virtually anything for beer money. As a location, HCMC is generally suitable for people with little or no experience who want to hang out (with each other) for a while and drink large quantities of (so I am told) cheap beer in expat haunts. As a serious teaching location, you have to be both patient and lucky to establish yourself here. It takes a long time to make any connection here with anyone who is really in a position to help you, other than to steer you to one of the chains or bottomfeeders, who you really won't need any help to find.

I hate to discourage you, Gordon, but most of the people posting on this board (and others similar to it) are not in the same position as you regarding education and experience, and their responses may therefore be misleading. I wish I had had contact with more experienced teachers before I came here--it would have helped me be more realistic in my expectations and less frustrated with dealing with the highly unprofessional standards that permeate most of the language schools.

That being said, I should note that the situation does seem to be working out for me at the moment, or at least it has the potential to in the short- to medium-term. But the idea that the streets are paved with gold for English teachers is patently ridiculous, unless you have virtually no life or work experience and therefore $12 an hour sounds like an enormous sum of money to you for what is supposed to be a professional position.

Also, I would echo what Sigmoid says--it can be pleasant here but it's also pretty boring unless you really, really live to go to expat bars, pound down beers, and avail yourself of the local peddled flesh. There's little culture, little intellectual life, few books (outside photocopies of what backpackers read), and only one cinema in HCMC which shows films in English, though not anything you may want to see. (I am told that things are marginally better in Hanoi but I do not have first-hand knowledge yet). There are cheap pirate CDs and DVDs and any number of places to travel to, though it should be said that everything seems to be packaged into tours, so if you want to get away on your own you may be disappointed.

In short, it is definitely not for everyone, and as a long-term move (more than, say, six months) professional teachers should consider their options very carefully, especially since virtually no one worth working for will hire you from abroad.

Good luck.
Micro67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Another Point of View Reply with quote

ghostdog wrote:
The good schools with good positions that pay well are few and few between.
I would disagree on that one. There are numerous schools that are good to work for, depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a gold watch you probably ought to be looking at S.S.I.S. or B.I.S. otherwise there are language schools and smaller schools aplenty.

Quote:
There are any number of places with jobs at $12 an hour, as noted any number of times, but conditions are usually awful and most of them would only pay lip service to education and experience and then hire some newbie or backpacker who will do virtually anything for beer money.
I would challenge the basic pillar of this argument on two fronts:

1. $12US/hr is a starting point and not indicative of what is available.
2. Using a direct conversion of đồng to dollars will not give you an accurate picture of the lifestyle available or savings potential. It is much more complicated than that.
Quote:

As a location, HCMC is generally suitable for people with little or no experience who want to hang out (with each other) for a while and drink large quantities of (so I am told) cheap beer in expat haunts.
While there are those who choose that lifestyle, you needn't look far to find a group of ex-pats that might share your interest. Another positive for Vietnam is that the ex-pat scene is not so well developed that you can't get away from it.
Quote:
As a serious teaching location, you have to be both patient and lucky to establish yourself here.
That has not been my experience.
Quote:
I hate to discourage you, Gordon, but most of the people posting on this board (and others similar to it) are not in the same position as you regarding education and experience, and their responses may therefore be misleading.
In the end the decision is yours, true, and there is no-one in the same position as you, but there are many people who are satisfied with the decision to live in Việtnam.

Quote:
I wish I had had contact with more experienced teachers before I came here--it would have helped me be more realistic in my expectations and less frustrated with dealing with the highly unprofessional standards that permeate most of the language schools.
There are challenges to living and working in Việtnam, but being able to adapt is a big part of the ex-pat lifestyle.

Quote:
But the idea that the streets are paved with gold for English teachers is patently ridiculous, unless you have virtually no life or work experience and therefore $12 an hour sounds like an enormous sum of money to you for what is supposed to be a professional position.

Again, directly putting a U.S. dollar figure on things will not give you an accurate representation of what is possible and $12US/hr is a starting point for some - a starting point, it should be noted - that allows for the kind of lifestyle that would be equivalent to much, much more money in other locations.

Quote:
Also, I would echo what Sigmoid says--it can be pleasant here but it's also pretty boring unless you really, really live to go to expat bars, pound down beers, and avail yourself of the local peddled flesh.

This is the one that bothers me. There is a steriotype about ex-pats in Asia, especially among men, but there is a great deal more available in Vietnam than that to those who choose to avail themselves of it. Just a few off the top of my head:
1. Sport. The V-League and the upcomming Tiger Cup will be held in Vietnam. http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/asia/vietnam/da_nang_lang.shtml or http://www.forums4free.net/Mekongesl/index.php?showtopic=47&st=0&
2. The Horse track - maybe not the best racing you will ever see, but a fun day out.
3. Easy weekenders in Vung Tao, Phan Thiet, Đalat and other places.
4. Live music http://www.thecurtiskingband.com, Salon Coca and others.
5. Lazy days in District 9
6. www.saigonh3.com and other clubs and groups.
7. International culteral events at venues like the Old Opera House

Quote:
There's little culture, little intellectual life, few books (outside photocopies of what backpackers read), and only one cinema in HCMC which shows films in English, though not anything you may want to see. (I am told that things are marginally better in Hanoi but I do not have first-hand knowledge yet).
Cinebox is a great place to visit. Not only do they show English language movies that are only a few months behind the box office they also show Vietnamese movies with English subtitles. Conceeded, books are hard to find.

Quote:
There are cheap pirate CDs and DVDs and any number of places to travel to, though it should be said that everything seems to be packaged into tours, so if you want to get away on your own you may be disappointed.
Traveling on your own always more fun and can be done cheaply. Hiring a car is easy and inexpensive. One lesson learned through bitter experience though; if you go anywhere more than a 60k away, rent a big motorcycle (at least a Bonus).

Quote:
In short, it is definitely not for everyone, and as a long-term move (more than, say, six months) professional teachers should consider their options very carefully, especially since virtually no one worth working for will hire you from abroad.
Vietnam isn't for everyone - true - but there are more and more options available. If you want it handed to you on a plate, it won't happen, but seek and ye shall find.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how long have some of you Vietnam vets been in Vietnam? I have the impression that ex-pats don't live there for 3+ years.

Thank you for the tips so far.
EricCC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: how can schools pay so much Reply with quote

I have yet to here a logical explanation as to how schools can afford to pay teachers so much. However, the above discussion has been an interesting read.

ERic
Waldorf Salad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school I work for in Taiwan charges students about US$4.5 per hour. I think I have an average of 10 students in my classes, so that's $45. The school pays me about $19. What's this like in Vietnam?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: high student numbers Reply with quote

Quote:
I have yet to here a logical explanation as to how schools can afford to pay teachers so much.

Yes, I guess my explanation, "they have to pay as much as they can to fulfil their high demand for teachers as schools expand and open new branches" is more an answer to why they pay so much, rather than how they pay so much.

But I think the answer is related: the high demand. There is no shortage of people who want to learn English in Vietnam at this time and so I think most schools have fairly large classes. My classes at a language school certainly don't have an average of ten students. More like an average of 23. Sometimes the number is closer to 30.

Of course working at a language school is just one type of teaching job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: