Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florence: Pros & Cons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANT EFL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Florence: Pros & Cons Reply with quote

Hi all
I am considering doing TEFL in Florence.
Have been to Sicily on hols & thought its people and scenery were lovely.

I have a few questions which I would like you to reflect on.
- Is there much work in Florence? Is it competitive?
- Is not having Italian a barrier? Is English accepted by people there?
- Is subsidised accomodation often included with work?
- Is there enough social activities/night life there?
- How expensive is it to live? Could you get by with your wages?
- I have a Business degree so are there chances of doing Business English - are businesses wanting employees to learn English?
- Heard also that working in Italy you have to beware of contracts?
Munchen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: I'll reply ANT EFL Reply with quote

No response to this after a month?
First off, where are you from? Are you from the EU?
Florence is, of course, "Touristy." But I've been there in the dead of winter, like in January, in the dismal rain and practically no tourists.
Dang straight, you need to know Italian for long stay, even in Rome, so if you know it, you'll be better off all around just to be living in Italy and getting around, shopping, dining, etc. Definitely a good variety of Italian spoken there and in Siena, about the best in Italy. There's the old saying, Lingua Toscana alla bocca Romana!

Yes, it is expensive there. I would say it would not be easy living there on TEFL instructor's wages, but like anywhere abroad, if you can live more like the locals, eat in small family restaurants and you are comfortable with that, then I would say, just go there and look around. Just avoid major tourist traps, 5 star hotel dining.

Lovely city, of course, and an atmosphere of "elegance." Even thought so riding on the buses there.
Have no idea about the nightlife, so to speak, but my guess it would be provincial as compared to Rome or any other European capital.

If you have any means for awhile, by all means, go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: