Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice. Working in Anadalucia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
callegirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Need advice. Working in Anadalucia Reply with quote

I am an aussie (with Spanish passport & relies near Valencia). I have returned from my second holiday in 2 yrs and have finally decided I need to spend a year in Spain to really learn the language and immerse myself in the way of life!!!

I have been making enquires about teaching English and the general message I seem to get is to 1) get TESOL 2) go to Spain and see the schools direct...

I would love to hear from anyone with some advice.
Have you gone this way before or is it better to go through an agency.. if so who?
Is the best time to start looking - June or July, before the September start of the school year..

I have fallen in love with the Granada area, particularly Las Alpujarras region and would like to teach in smaller rural areas that are close to major centres eg Orgiva etc. What chance would l have of teaching in schools in smaller towns?, if not - Granada or even Seville.

Love to hear some experiences/advice/opinions.
Spainsick Traveller
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Callegirl,

Generally speaking, the smaller the town, the fewer the opportunities.

Like you, many others also dream of working in Granada or Sevilla.

The advice I always give people is, "Go to Madrid".

Once you go there, you'll understand why: most job opportunities are in Madrid. I see that you have relatives in Valencia (a nice city indeed); if you have any relatives or close friends in Granada/Sevilla I suppose you could go there and check it out, that wouldn't hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm only telling you about the reality of the situation. You CAN find work in cities like Granada...but it's not as easy. And think very carefully about where you want to work. Granada might be a nice place to spend a holiday, but it's no Madrid or Barcelona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: