Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trans Sib

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaneth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Trans Sib Reply with quote

Waxwing, you weanie! The train? Hitchhiking, man, hitchhiking. And you call yourself a Russia vet...

When I was first here and still planning to take the train to China, a number of my Russian acquaintances were somewhat incredulous. They just don't see the romance in it. Reminds me of when I was in England and going on about the fields and hedges and stone walls and sheep.

I hope you'll at least be taking the open car ticket (platzkart is it?). Last time I checked it was still dirt cheap, even though the guide books were talking about it increasing in price.
waxwing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Kinda difficult to hitch from Chita to Khabarovsk dontcha think?

To be honest, I've done a couple of 1-2 dayers in купе and I don't see it anything particularly romantic either. Certainly nothing romantic about those friggin toilets.. bleach.
3rd class you must be taking the michael Smile
It's cheap enough kupe. I'll either get some kind of bargain airfare (hah) to Vladivostok if I'm lazy, or if I'm feeling adventurous, energetic and not as ridiculously poor as usual, I'll do it in 3 trains, one to maybe Omsk (or Yekaterinburg) and then one more stop for Irkutsk. Apart from many other disadvantages with that plan (e.g. middle of August), there's the trickiness of having to book tickets separately.

I am basically very lazy but I'll be kicking myself for some time if I don't take the chance to do it now.

PS I'm quite tempted by the BAM, I can change at комсомольск-на-амуре and switch down south. There's even a hydrofoil to хабаровск down the Amur river. But I'm not really up to the 'extreme traveller' lark so prob. not.

PPS. Actually the stone walls in England are very nice, I agree. I rather miss them. No jokes about sheep please Smile
cheekygal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a man with a plan Smile just be careful
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moskva-Beijing in one shot, 6 days (stupid but I had no choice in the end). My travelling companion was a North Korean teacher of Russian.
Had a great trip actually.
Baikal was just stunning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: