Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.::classroom management?::.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: .::classroom management?::. Reply with quote

I am going to be teaching in Europe and was wondering how any of you proceed in classroom management....? Do you use games a lot for the children or do you hold strict classes, or even it out 50/50?I have taught two different "types" of classes (publisc and private) more than once and found that when I am strict, the students learn alot more, and faster, and then I do suprises for them, like field trips if they have behaved for "x" amount of time. I teach 2-7 year olds, and will also be opening my own small independant private English school. I am just wondering that works for each of YOU..... any feedback is greatly appreciated.
bobs12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before opening your school, I'd correct the spelling mistake in your signature. Rolling Eyes
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.
yoanna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: regarding me Reply with quote

there have been alot more people than myself in this forum who have made spelling, as well as grammar mistakes, from typing too fast, or maybe some just do not know how to spell. Either way, I would appreciate if you would not mock me, and I would rather you spend time fixing your own mistakes, like that attitude of yours. thankyou.
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting reaction on your part. My intention, however threatening you may have found my comment, was merely to point out your mistake and save you potential further embarrassment.

If I was planning to open a school, I'd be a little more careful with my spelling, typing, grammar, punctuation, etc. here as these forums are browsed by some pretty well-connected and intelligent people who provide very useful support and advice. Said support and advice is much more likely to be forthcoming if you write in such a way as to inspire confidence- it is, after all, a teachers' forum. But that's just advice, not mocking. Of course we all make mistakes and typos, but not in signatures.

How I spend my time is my own choice, and since I have nothing better to do this morning I've decided that I'm going to reply to a message that otherwise doesn't warrant a reply. Your preferences are мне по барабану.

I understand your position, given that you are a woman travelling the world and filling yourself with frustration as you go, but no matter how frustrated you get this is not a place to jump to conclusions about members' attitudes and spit bile in the face of harmless comments.

P.S. 'a lot' is two separate words. Not a lot of people know that. Might come in handy when you're teaching.
yoanna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to go around and correct the spelling and grammar in every post, I would be here all night. This is my point. I know that if we have teachers (like myself and yourself) in this forum, they went through their studies and courses and are certified. How they spell here, in this forum, is, I am sure, not how they are going to teach in their classroom. This is an online community teacher forum, not the place our seven year old students are going to be studying for their next vocabulary lesson on animals. Which brings me to the idea that maybe, we can drop this... and move on in our life, yes?
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she edit it already? I can't see a mistake. Sorry to beat a dead horse.
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoanna,
Good luck with your teaching projects. Hope your school takes off the way you've planned

I've never tried teaching children that young (except for my own) so I have nothing to share about classroom management skills. Let us know how you get on though, will you?

Last edited by Trojan Horse on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the spelling. It's since been corrected. The comma is trivial. I think originally there was an element of humor in all of this...I think.
bobs12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to comment on the comma, so to speak, as that would have been overly anal. I just hate to see butchery of the English language by people purporting to be teachers.

I moved on a long, long time ago, roughly when I left the forum and forgot about it completely. However, on finding yet another reply, I can't help but feel compelled (yep, another lazy morning at the office) to mention that Mr2000 is quite right. I just find it bizarre that someone planning to open a school can:

a) have such blatantly poor English

b) defend it

c) take himself so seriously when he can't control, his commas

d) get so far above himself as to allow the thought of correcting posts on this forum to even enter his head regardless. Maybe, we all need some extra commas?

I wish you the best of luck in Europe, as standards there are probably a lot higher than you imagine. Western Europe might be a better starting point. The only advice I can give you is to be a little more open to constructive criticism, and not to accuse people who are trying to help you of having an 'attitude problem'. I notice that you took my advice nonetheless, albeit in a childish, spited manner.

From the experience of myself and my colleagues, I've found that the classroom is the place where we make most mistakes- standing at twelve inches and an angle of twenty degrees from the board you're writing on, not to mention writing at speed and often talking at the same time, makes it a lot harder to concentrate on what you're doing and spot your mistakes as you go along. Although you are right in saying that a seven year old probably wouldn't notice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: