Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places for parents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Best places for parents Reply with quote

Is there anyplace good for a single mom with a 14 year old? Someone told me that I could get a job in Japan and the employer would pay for my son's schooling. I find that hard to believe with the cost of American schools. Im looking into Latin america, esp. Mexico because I think I can swing tutors financially (dunno if I can find one that can speak reasonable English etc). I am just about to graduate with my MA.

Or is this just a gig for the young and unattached?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shirley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a single parent of adult kids, my only regret in living abroad is not doing it when they were younger. Mine refused to move abroad, so I waited until they were grown. If your son is willing, by all means, do it. He will learn totally different values and have many new experiences, some of which he probably won't like, but that's part of life. My kids now regret that they didn't have those experiences. At 14 he can pick up most languages quickly, so why not chose a country based on your mutual interests? Is there a reason other than language that you don't want him in a local school? Germany comes to mind for your situation, the kids speak very good English so he can make friends. The language isn't too difficult for English speakers, the culture isn't too foreign and German Universities pay you based on your family situation. Some universities pay very well, but not all. German Universities also are usually willing to help with the visa if you are non-EU. How exciting!! Good Luck.
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Teaching with Children Reply with quote

Germany WOULD be a good suggestion, BUT Germany is EU, of course,and if you are American or Canadian,you might very well have trouble getting around the EU thing(I am not saying it is impossible,but probably difficult).With a child in tow,I think you are going to be very disenchanted and dispirited with the kinds of wages you would make in most of Latin America,including many places( I am not saying ALL) in Mexico.Those kind of gigs in Latin America.eastern Europe,etc are mainly for footloose,fancy free types...although I am not saying it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to do it...I knew a woman who took her toddler with her when she taught in Lithuania.

Methinks you might want to go somewhere where you might make a little more cash...although of course,I do not really know if money is a priority with you.Suggest you DO try Japan...although I really have no idea if anyone there would pay for your teenager's schooling,etc.Another consideration of course,is how your teenager would feel about all of this.One caveat...TESOL is often an unstable, shaky business...it is usually NOT like having a nice steady teaching job in the US or Canada.

Best of luck! Don't believe everything they tell you. Be careful. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: with children Reply with quote

If you have certified teacher status, you might consider getting a job in an international school. I cannot see any employer in the esol/efl field paying the fees for your child to be educated at an international school. Now oif you yourself were working in one of those schools......

Perhaps this was not what you wanted to hear. The truth is not always pleasant. You will undoubtedly hera more positive things from other posters. I would advise caution.
gecko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: international schools Reply with quote

I would say that International schools probably suit your needs best. You kid will get free schooling, the other kids he meets will speak english very well and your salary will be more than suitable. Good luck!

What qualifications do you have??
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: one option Reply with quote

Have a 'hooky' marriage to a gay friend and then come and work in the Middle East.It's a great ,(safe) place for kids and the salaries are good.Maids are also cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: