Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance Degrees in HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generasian X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Distance Degrees in HK Reply with quote

Are distant degrees(MAs or PhDs from Australian University of Queensland for example) accepted at the EMB (for NET)? How about for private employers? Thanks!
Ludwig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may mean 'distance' degrees, not 'distant' degrees.

As it happens, such things do not tend to go down all too well here, after all, they must compete against proper degrees, and, as they say, the market rules supreme.

On all EMB applications, there is a whole section on whether qualifications were obtained on campus as opposed to off-campus, and whether they were completed on a full-time as opposed to a part-time basis. So, in short, judge for yourself.

Obviously, for Doctorates the situation is somewhat different as a large majority of such degrees are conducted on this basis. Nevertheless, here too you would be competing against those who teach at the university at which they are completing/have completed their Doctorate studies and you would be examined on how your supervision was arranged by people who themselves are academic doctors.

As regards private firms, it is not so much what they do or do not accept, as more what the immigration allows them to accept. You do not perhaps understand some of the (very real) economic realities of (what is essentially) a (very finite) city-state.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand with regard to the NET scheme, MAs, whether distance or non-distance, do not really enter into the equation. It's initial degrees, teaching qualifications & experience that are important.

Having an MA of either pedigree does not necessarily help you get a NET post and you certainly don't receive any more money because of it.

well-travelled
Butters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Try looking at this. It may help. Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=21941
Ludwig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well-travelled wrote:
As far as I understand with regard to the NET scheme, MAs, whether distance or non-distance, do not really enter into the equation. It's initial degrees, teaching qualifications & experience that are important.

Has this poster ever actually been a NET? Whilst that may be true, - it certainly does not enter into the equation when it comes to salary calculations, for example, - this will not mean that if two people go for a post and one has a MA that it will not be considered.
once again

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:

Quote:
a MA

At least he is consistent.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that having an MA wouldn't do any harm when applying for a NET post, but I doubt it gives you a great advantage over someone with a BA and lots of experience.

As it happens I have an MA, many years teaching experience and I am a NET. I seriously doubt, however, that my having an MA played any significant part in EMB's offering me a NET positiion.

well-travelled
ozman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed well travelled.
I too am a NET with an M.A. You don't get extra for it and I did do half of it part time and finished the other half by distance. I didn't need the M.A. to become a NET.

It might give you the edge however if you are looking to change schools in the future within the NET scheme. It all depends on what the schools want.

Most places in the Middle East want an M.A. so it's not a bad string to add to your bow.
Ozman
well-travelled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozman -

I agree with everything you write. The irony is I'm back here from the MIddle East after a less than edifying experience there.

In truth, most jobs in the ME (and I'm talking tertiary level here) pay peanuts compared to the NET scheme. I include here Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait & most jobs in Saudi Arabia. I was offered posts at universities in Oman & Bahrain for roughly the equivalent of $HK16,000 a month.....

Some posts in the UAE are better - namely HCT, UAEU & Zayed University. You don't need an MA for HCT (but some of the HCT colleges are run by scumbags) but UAEU & Zayed are okay if you can get a post there.

You still, however, receive less pay than on the NET scheme - and, in general, the students here are far far more motivated than the students you have to deal with in the MIddle East.

Cheers,

well-travelled
guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be better ME at UAEU/ HCT or NET with a non working spouse and 3 kids 5 years, 3 and 1 ?

NET don't look after the family do they so would i better off financially in the ME or Hong Kong?
well-travelled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru -

Depends where you are on the UAEU/HCT payscale & the NET payscale - which depends mainly on years of experience. In terms of basic salary I think the NET scheme has the edge.

However, you're right that there is no kids' educational allowance on the NET scheme. I know that HCT - and I presume UAEU too - have very generous educational allowances - which would be relevant to your oldest child entering a primary school in the UAE. However, they do not pay kindergarten fees.

If you were to stay for the long-term, that educational allowance would make a big difference.

well-travelled
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MA counted and that was a distance course.

Never needed to use it mind......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: