Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eurotemp Recruitment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Eurotemp Recruitment Reply with quote

Oh, and I have an interview/presentation session with Eurotemp (http://www.tefl-jobs.org.uk/) next week.

Does Eurotemp mean anything in particular to anybody?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jojo_rock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about Edenmark, I might have applied to them, can't remember, I've applied to so muchlately.

My friend got a job with eurotemp last year. He seemed quite happy with it. I applied to them this year but they didn't have any positions in places that I wanted to go to.

Good luck with the job hunt!
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've an idea where you want to go to why not just look at the yellow pages and find the job yourself. Save fees all round.
jojo_rock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing that too.
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save what fees? As far as I understand I won't be paying for anything, unless this is pre-deducted from my salary which is supposed to be approximately �800/month, which I understand to be the norm anyway in Italy.

As far as I know many schools only recruit locally. I would rather sort something concrete out through an agency in my own country than just turn up in Italy on speculative grounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
supposed to be approximately �800/month

You may find it hard to live on 800 euros a month in the bigger cities. Are the schools paying you holiday pay, or any other benefits? If you're getting free accommodation, then 800 euros sounds a lot better.

You should get work in Rome if you turn up speculatively with a certificate and degree. If you have little experience, you won't get paid a lot - maybe around 10 or 11 euros an hour (net minimum).

The downside is that you might be travelling around from one school or company to the other. If you get a job through an agency at only one school, then you avoid a lot of travelling time.
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No accommodation is not free, it's 180-250 euros/month. Apparently the jobs will be located in the smaller cities and specifically says NOT Rome.
I realise I won't be left with a lot of money, but from what I have read, it seems that in Italy the average teacher salary is less than other European countries... is this not the case? What is the average salary in "the smaller cities"?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at some of the job ads in www.tefl.com, you can see some up-to-date info on what schools are offering in smaller places.

Can you work privately, or for other schools, in your contract? How many hours are you to spend teaching or travelling? If you could get extra income, you'd find things a lot easier. But 800euro net, out of which you could easily pay 250 for accommodation, is quite low. I realise that prices in Rome are higher, but I pay these sorts of costs every month:

Rent / condominium fees: 850 (between two of us)
Food / household: 150 euro per week (between two of us)
Travel card: 30 euro per month
Cell phone pre-pay: 30 euro per month
Electricity: 50 euro per month (between two)
Telephone / internet: 100 euro per month (between two)
Gas: about 5 - 10 euro per month

Unfortunately, my lifestyle is not very lavish...
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMojoRisin wrote:
Save what fees? As far as I understand I won't be paying for anything,

Not directly, but the school will - possibly a one-off fee or a continuing percentage. The problem then, of course, is to try and persuade the school to share their gain!

I can quite understand fixing up something beforehand, but it's just that I get the impression that the agencies like to hold the '800 euros' party line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: