Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yemen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barmadu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Yemen? Reply with quote

I have recently been offered a job in Yemen, and I was wondering if anyone had worked there recently, or was working there now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
[email protected]
zakiah25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Yemen Reply with quote

I worked in Salalah (in Oman but near the border with Yemen) some years ago and we were always warned not to travel into Yemen by road without taking hired security guards (because of bandits). Although, I always wanted to go.
Are you going to be based in Sanaa or in Aden? What is your nationality?
The only recent news that I've heard was regarding terrorist activity in Yemen, remember the American naval vessel was bombed in recent times.
I believe that Sanaa is very interesting in terms of buildings and markets etc and the local surroundings are very unusual (mountains).
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always factor in a few days for being kidnapped if you go to Yemen, either to work or as a tourist.

It used to be quite pleasant being kidnapped; they would take you to their village where you would be given your own hut and they would kill a couple of sheep to celebrate the kidnapping, and after a few days you would be swapped for another Land Cruiser, or a school or a road, with money for a few rocket launchers thrown in as a bonus. Indeed I believe some tour operatores were conisidering charging for the priviliege.

Unfortunately globalization has set in, and the latest rounds of kidnappings have been carried out by London based "mujadaheen"of Whacko International who either kill you, or lack the correct negotiating skills and end up in gun fights with the security forces in which you'll get killed anyway.

The Iraqui war has also resulted in certain Yemenis getting annoyed and taking potshots at Westerners. As there are more Yemenis with Kalsashnikovs than there are with a full set of limbs this is a little worrying.

Ny advice is to stuff your mouth with Qat. After a couple of hours of chewing you won't really mind being kidnapped (it will probably come as a welcome relief to neuralgia actually) and all of your co-chewers willl be too stoned to kidnap or shoot anybody anyway.

Enjoy!
barmadu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post is in Sana'a. I was hoping that someone there would be able to answer me. I'd like to hear from someone with actual experience in the situation rather than someone fed on N.American media tidbits that portray all arabs as blood thirsty fiends with the ever present "russian" rifle, while N Americans (well the residents that occupy the middle) burning babies come off as saviours. True, I could be jumping to a conclusion here, if so, sorry. Thanks
zakiah25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Basically true! Reply with quote

What Stephen wrote although a little colourfully is basically true - kidnapping of foreigners exactly as he described have occurred. There are many stories that Al Queeda cells are present in Yemen.
I 'd suggest that you get a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide to the Middle East, it has a good section on Yemen in it.
By the way, my name is Zakiah al Balushi (the al Balushi tribe settled in Oman and Yemen), I'm hardly a North American!
barmadu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive reply. I admit my response might have been a little acidic, but what I'm really looking for is some insight into the actual situation on the streets of Sana'a. I have heard about the kidnappings, but I would like to know how it actually feels on the the streets. There are times when the media can completely overblow a situation. I have lived in several places that were apparently "unsafe" if one was to read a newspaper or watch a news story from OUTSIDE said country. It's not always the case when looking from within. Again, thanks for your help.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streets of Sana'a, like of any other Arab city, should be pretty safe. Opportunistic kidnappings occur in the courntry.

How thngs will be if there is a popular rising against the Americans and British in Iraq, as seems incresaingly likely is another matter.
princessofquitealot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Sana'a Reply with quote

Although I am based in Aden, I have taught for a short period in Sana'a. In some ways it is a typical, grungy Middle Eastern city. But in other ways -- many ways -- it is a magic place with a World Heritage Site right in the centre of town. The Old City of Sana'a is an incredible experience that you will never get tired of.

The "new" city is just fine -- a very modern (and expensive) shopping mall, a fairly large expatriate community, a lot of great places to eat. I did a lot of walking there -- it's very easy to get around, both on foot and on the microbusses (which are unbelievably cheap). I never felt that I was about to be kidnapped or that I was in any danger at all.

My students were great, friendly, curious and dedicated to their studies. They were there because they wanted to be there.

The weather is very pleasant: warm in the summer and coolish in the winter.

Yemen is not like the rest of the Middle East. It is an authentic Arabic experience that shouldn't be missed, in my opinion. The money is usually not great, but the cost of living is extremely low.

I would highly recommend the Yemeni teaching experience to you. If you hate it, you can leave.

PoQA
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go to yemen. Cool
Eijse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eijse on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eijse

If you look closely, you will note that this is an old thread from 2003 that got resurrected.

I expect that the OP is either already there or gone on to somewhere else by now. Smile Or at least I hope so.

VS
Eijse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eijse on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: JOB ! Reply with quote

JOBS IN YEMEN ? Here is one from the current EL Gazette

"Peacekeeping Project English Teacher Trainer- Yemen

As part of the Peacekeeping English Project (PEP) programme, the British Council is seeking an experienced English language teaching professional to fill the above post. The programme is managed by the British Council on behalf of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Ministry of Defence and aims to promote the development of a sustainable system for English language training for military and other security forces, enabling these to contribute to international peacekeeping operations

�17,759 per annum plus benefits including free accommodation and pension provision. 12 month contract in the first instance, renewable by mutual agreement.

http://www.elgazette.com/ElProspects/ProspectsJob.asp?Action=View&JobID=90"
meastfreak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
The streets of Sana'a, like of any other Arab city, should be pretty safe. Opportunistic kidnappings occur in the courntry.

Rolling Eyes not since 2000 has there been any kidnappings. Yemen is as safe as any other place in the world for a westerner, probably safer than most places.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: