Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Teaching jobs on the Gulf Coast and Yucatan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailing-in

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for Teaching jobs on the Gulf Coast and Yucatan Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on teaching job opportunities and schools on the Gulf Coast and in the Yucatan. What would my chances be for finding a job with the following credentials.

1. Bachelor's degree in History with Minor in Geography

2. Ability to speak Spanish at a basic level. Good enough to shop and hold my own in most conversations.

3. 1 years teaching experience teaching History and Spanish.

4. about 5 years experience working as a volunteer tutor with international students at my college on their English conversation skills.

Rolling Eyes I'm wondering if I'd have good, bad, or horrible chances of finding a job somewhere like Tampico, Veracruz, Campeche, Merida, or Chetumal or anywhere close to the Gulf Coast or somewhere in the Yucatan with these credentials. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy Please post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Rob
The Old Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all of the cities that you mention have English language schools (not sure about Chetumal).

You are more qualified than many, but employability, like so many other things in Mexico, really depends on the "right place at the right time."

Your chances rise substantially if you "show up" at prime hiring time. The end of August through the beginning of Sept. and immediatelty after the Christmas holidays are good times to look for a job.

Do a little research, get the names of some schools, ask around, gather up what you'll need and hit the bricks.

I would be very surprised if you had any trouble finding a teaching job.

I once walked into a school (in Aug) in one of the above cities based on the recommendation of a cab driver and was offered a job within minutes. Of course, I don't have multiple body piercings, long dreadlocks, a dog on a rope, and a sooty backpack, etc.
I don't wish to be judgemental about those things, but much is done in Mexico based on appearances and perceptions.

If you show up at the right time, are well presented and polite, seem to be reasonably well educated, and are sociable, your academic qualifications can become secondary if not irrelevant, IMHO.

On the other hand, you could encounter a DOS that is an American who invested lots of time and money in his/her own education and wants to see the same in all applicants.

Good Luck!
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Two if by sea Reply with quote

If you plan to sail in, be prepared for some extra expenses and complications not required of those entering by land or air. Do you have a Mexican fishing license? It's required if you sail in on a private craft even if you have no fishing gear on board and don't plan to fish at all. Aduana and immigration might also present a few extra complications for those entering by sea. If you check out a map with ports of entry for the Yucatan peninsula, you'll notice that the places where you can legally come into the country by sea are quite limited. A good site to check out is http://www.travelyucatan.com/trans-3.htm#ENTRY.

Of the 11 ports of entry listed for the northern 3 states of the Yucatan peninsula, only the tourist ones have much for language schools. In those places there's much more competition for jobs and the cost of living is generally higher than in non-tourist cities.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something here, but only the wealthy by local standards have sailboats big enough to live on in the part of Mexico where I am. I can't imagine paying dock fees, boat insurance, and other expenses on a teacher's salary in these parts. Maybe someone with a combo of experience teaching EFL in Mexico and sailing can shed some light on this topic.

Best wishes!
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: