Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security in the UAE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tahini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Security in the UAE Reply with quote

I'm interested in teaching in the UAE but I'm wondering about security issues. Do Westerners feel relatively safe there? Do you have to take any extra precautions?
django

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers to your ?s: 1. yes 2. no
abudhabi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Very safe Reply with quote

I don't want to offend any particular nationality, but I don't know any Western country where the level of crime is lower than here. It is extremely safe to walk around here during the day and night. No gang member is going to threaten you for walking into his patch. No drunk is going to abuse you for walking near him /her. Personal safety is taken for granted and not an item of conversation.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Very safe Reply with quote

abudhabi wrote:
No drunk is going to abuse you for walking near him /her.

Except other expats
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Security in the UAE Reply with quote

tahini wrote:
Do you have to take any extra precautions?

Yes: You are advised to lift the hem of your dishdasha or abbaya when using the escalator at Carrefour's.

(but ONLY the hem)

Smile

BD
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahini,

Just to let you know that although a sense of humor is a requirement to teach in the Gulf (note previous posters attempts), with the exception of Saudi Arabia, most Westerners in the Gulf still feel much safer there than at home in the West.

As an American I always enjoyed the ability to not have to worry about my safety. And, in case BD gave you the wrong idea, you do not have to dress like the locals. Smile

VS
Biffo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal safety so far is not too much of an issue, though Western women get pestered by locals if on their own.
Levels of house break-ins in certain parts of the UAE are as high as any Western country. We have had 3 break-ins in the last 6 months, and we are not alone! The police seem to have given up and the last time didn't bother with statements. Reminded me of the UK.
We feel a lot less safe here than the UK or even my wife's native Venezuela. If you have a villa you can more or less forget security unless you are on a compound. I would recommend anyone moving into a flat to change all the locks themselves as it is surprising who has a set of keys.
Single women should not use the taxis with gold wings after dark. Take an Al Ghazil, it's not worth the risk.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the regualr taxis? I've taken them in the evening without any problems. Nor have I heard about any of the other women having difficulties.

Would you mind elaborating? For example, which city are you referring to?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Biffo

"We feel a lot less safe here than the UK or even my wife's native Venezuela."

I must say that in the last 19 years of dealing with places like Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and the Emirates, this is the first time I have EVER heard anyone make a statement like that.

As to riding taxis at night as a woman alone, there is no country in the world where I would do that - unless I knew the taxi driver or it is a service like Ghazal where the ride is registered. That seems to be common sense.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

As to riding taxis at night as a woman alone, there is no country in the world where I would do that -
VS

You obviously haven't been to Japan.
I do agree with you about 99% of the world where that would not be wise.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Gordon, yes I have been to Japan and agree that it is likely the safest country in the world. But, that said, I still probably wouldn't ride late in a taxi at night as a tourist - even if the taxi driver does wear white gloves!! Smile Now if I were living there and knew the territory, that would likely be different.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Actually Gordon, yes I have been to Japan and agree that it is likely the safest country in the world. But, that said, I still probably wouldn't ride late in a taxi at night as a tourist - even if the taxi driver does wear white gloves!! Smile Now if I were living there and knew the territory, that would likely be different.

VS

Don't forget the frilly white doilies. Wink
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the doors that open automatically and bang you in the shins.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I still probably wouldn't ride late in a taxi at night as a tourist

Fine. You'd be perfectly safe if you did.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must say that in the last 19 years of dealing with places like Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and the Emirates, this is the first time I have EVER heard anyone make a statement like that.

I remember being told in Cairo, Beiruit or Damascus that the problem with Saudi Arabia was that there was too much crime there :)

From what I've heard Cairo is catching up mind you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: